We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ski/snow/romance

Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
ski/snow/romance

My husband and I have never been skiing and he is really wanting to try it. I am a little weary of it, myself, but am interested in giving it a go.

(I am posting this on a random Forum in Vermont just because it makes you choose a forum. Please direct me if I need to switch forums.)

Plus we'd like to do a bit of everything "wintery" in Vermont..snowshoeing, dogsledding, sleigh riding, sitting by a fire, looking at pretty scenery, etc. We're not familiar with the area at all (from Mississippi). What would be a good area to visit for all of these things in the month of March? Any suggestions for hotels or B&Bs? I usually use Tripadvisor to make our decisions, but I just don't know much about Vermont in general, so it makes it hard to search.

Let me know your ideas.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ski/snow/romance

Hello Ski, Snow, Romance.....welcome to the dream!

We loved Vt. so much we decided to move here! Yes you can enjoy all three in Vermont in the month of March, and I would lean toward the start to middle of the month to be sure of good snow conditions. One never knows how late the ski season can last, but generally there are great conditions in early to mid march.

I am attaching a link to a site that can give you details of every region in the state. This resource will be lots of help. Also, note that there are ski hills from North Vt. to South Vt......a lot to chose from.

Some of the more commonly accessed ski areas include:

Okemo Mt. in South Central Vt

Bromley in South Central Vt

Killington in North Vt.

Stowe in North E. VT

All have great ski package "Lessons" for first timers. Airports closest to the center of Vt are:

Albany NY 2 hrs drive

Manchester NH 2 hr drive

Hartford Ct 2 hr drive and the easiest to access this area

Boston Ma 3 1/2 hr drive

Best of FUN!!!!!

www.vermontvacation.com

Edited: 26 November 2010, 14:52
Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ski/snow/romance

Thank you so much! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ski/snow/romance

A minor comment on those driving times... I'm a fast driver & I'd plan for a little more time from Stowe to Albany & Hartford: 3 hours.

:)

San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ski/snow/romance

Best season for skiing in Killington is early Nov - April. Aside from Killington, Mt. Snow, Sugarbush, Stowe, Smugglers Notch, and Okemo are great ski destinations you can find in Vermont.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ski/snow/romance

March can be a bit dicey re: weather. Usually most of the resorts will have adequate snow. There are years however when it's scarce. The temps could be in the 20s or high 40s. Since you're coming from afar, northern VT will probably be your best bet for nice 'wintry' scenery and activities. Stowe, Smuggler's Notch, and Jay Peak are 3 good options... with Stowe being the most charming town of the 3 (by far), with a wide assortment of things to do & see.

6. Re: ski/snow/romance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 22:19