We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England for 2 weeks in June

Nottingham
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New England for 2 weeks in June

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to visit New England in June 2011 for the first time with my partner. We are both 30, like good food (not too expensive), shopping, the seaside and small cities with fun and quirky things to do. We don't like to get bored. As well as the usual New England touristy/historical stuff we might like to visit the Ben and Jerry's factory (VT), Six Flags, go white water rafting and watch a drive-in movie (Cape Cod). I hope this gives you an idea of the kind of things we like. We haven't got a huge amount of money to spend so we will probably stay in motels for most of the time. Here is the route we plan to take:

Boston, MA - Portland, ME - North Conway, NH - Moss Glen Falls, VT - Williamstown, MA - Old Sturbridge Village, MA - Newport, RI - South Yarmouth, MA - Boston, MA

We will probably stay in Boston and South Yarmouth for a few nights and one night in all the other places.

What do you think of the route? Too ambitious for 2 weeks or about right? Any recommendations / suggested alterations etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England for 2 weeks in June

Dawn

Sounds like a road rally to me. There are lots of people who like to take a tour bus and spend a few hours in a place and move on. If that is what you are trying to accomplish then ok. It is way too ambitious for me but so what. Is it doable? sure. Will you have fun? don't know. Most of the best stuff to do in NE is free like hiking, swimming, etc (may be early for the ocean and even lakes depending on weather). Here is a link to the only drive in on Cape Cod. www.wellfleetcinemas.com/drive-in-theatre

What would your response be if I wanted to see the UK in the same manner?

June is just before the prime season starts so lodging should be a less than after July 4th.

I hope you decide for a more indepth visit rather than a surface drive by visit.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England for 2 weeks in June

I think you may be right. Because flights are so expensive at the moment I'm just trying to squeeze lots of stuff in. I'd definitely like to visit Boston and Cape Cod. Where else would you suggest?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England for 2 weeks in June

My suggestion would be 3 or 4 places to stay because you can't see it all.

Save the cape for the end of your trip as the weather starts to change to summer rapidly as June ends. Start with a few days in Boston Maybe a couple of days in Portland, ME or Portsmouth, NH and check out the southern ME coast. Then spend a few days in Acadia/Bar Harbor. Dress warm as it is still cool up there. You can spend 3/4 days exploring the White Mountains or Green Mountains of VT. I am prejudiced towards NH, but love VT as well. Finish the trip on the Cape relaxing. I think you will have better memories without a dirty windshield between you and the outside world.

Here is a list of things to do just in the Mount Washington area and the list is not complete.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England for 2 weeks in June

I have seen people do this, but you are probably sticking to the typical tourist stuff in Maine. If you like to white water raft and the out of doors, I would go further north and do the west branch of the Penobscot River or the Kennebec River and then you have to see Acadia National Park....these may prove to be better if outdoor, non boring, is more your style. Just a thought...I would look for what I wanted to do....and then put my driving around that....often in trying to see it all we miss the beauty and fun we could have had. Maine is also cold in early June often, so mid June would be best, but then again, the rates are better in early June.

Best wishes.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England for 2 weeks in June

Thanks.

Although I'd love to visit NH and VT I think I'll have to leave them out on this trip and just stick to the coast - Couple of days in Boston, couple of days in Portland and then a week in Cape Cod. Seems a lot more achievable!

6. Re: New England for 2 weeks in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Vermont