We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
13 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

Hello people!

My wife and i are traveling to NYC from Australia in early May. We plan to rent a car in nyc on may 13 and drive to Montreal, then Quebec City and down to Boston via the coast and back to NYC. I have been told Vermont is beautiful and we are trying to work out a route to drive. We have to be back in nyc by 26 May which gives us just under 2 weeks of drive time. We are in our early 30's and are looking for a scenic, picturesque holiday. Any ideas/routes would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou, Nathan \[*_*]/

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

In New York, exit the New York State Thruway, in the Albany area, going thru Troy, NY on Route 9 into Southwestern Vermont. You will land in Bennington, In Bennington you will first encounter a nice green with a beautiful, old, classic white church, nearby is the Bennington Battle Momument(commemorates the Revolutionary War battle) an oblelisk 300+ feet high (approx height of a 30 story building, with stairs to a panoramic view of the surrounding area. Bennington Museum , nearby has I believe the largest collection of Grandma Moses paintings. A little north of there(?in North Bennington) are 3 old wooden covered bridges in close proximity. A little north of there in Shaftsbury is a former home of poet Robert Frost.... Drive up Rt 7A to Arlington where artist Norman Rockwell once lived, on your way to Manchester. Manchester is place you might want to stay over.

Two differing routes from Manchester

Route 1

Take Route 30 north to MIddllebury,( Home to beautiful campus of Middlebury. College) from there take the back road to Vergennes Rt. 23 via Weybridge, home to the University of Vermont Morgan Horse Farm. From Vergennes, go north on Routw 22A and 7 to Burlington a small city at the edge of Lake Champlain overlooking the Adirondacks of New York. From there drive north on Route7 through the "Islands" on Route 2, towns include, South Hero, Grand Isle and Alburg(h) , I believe there you would cross back into New York before crossing over the Canadian Border. In Burlington you could detour over to Stowe / Waterbury/ Smuggler Notch area about 45-1 hour away from Burlington.

Route 2

(This is longer) From Manchester go east on Routes 11/30 to Weston, visit the old Vermont Country Store, then go North on Rt 100 up the middle of the state and ending in Waterbury, {Stowe would be a 20 minute detour (one way)from there}. Another 15 minute detour farther south would be to head off east to Woodstock from Rt 100. Once in Waterbury, head north on Route 89 , to Route 2/ the Islands(see above)

Manchester, Stowe, Woodstock and Burlington are all top destinations in Vermont. Staying overnight in any or all would be worth it, it just depends on how much time to allot, if you have 2 weeks, 3 days might be a fair allotment. Just a guess.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 15:43
Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
13 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

Thankyou Dave!

Great info, i will get out the map tonight and start planning. We definitely want to spend a few nights in Montreal and Quebec City which only leaves a few nights in New England so i hope i choose wisely! Thankyou very much for your help.

Nathan

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

Some attractions open seasonally and do not open until the end of May, but one that might be worthwhile and is open, is Hildene in Manchester. This is estate of Robert Todd Lincoln who was the son of Abe Lincoln, but also the head of the Pullman Railroad Car Co. at end the of 19th century.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

If you end up in Burlington, May 15th or later, the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne( 15 minutes from Burlington) will be open and is a fantastic place to visit.

This is not an ordinary museum, it is has 40 buildings on 40 acres, with varying exhibits, including, horse carriages, sleighs, quilts, decoys, an old country store, a high end New York city apartment moved here with artwork from world renowned artists, Degas, Cassat, and more, a round barn, an old 2 cell stone jail, a light house, a steam boat and more... there is so much to see I believe the tickets are good for two consecutive days. www.shelburnemuseum.org.

5. Re: Scenic drive route from New York to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:27