We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vermont to maine road trip

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
vermont to maine road trip

Going to visit a friend in Killington early OCT. Not sure if we are going to fly into Burlington or Boston. Would like to incorporate a trip along Maine coast. Trip length flexible. Any ideas as to routes and attractions appreciated. How much time needed to reach the coast? Thanks in advance

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vermont to maine road trip

Bar Harbor, Boothbay Camden, Rockland are top coastal towns north of Portland. South of Portland: Kennebunkport, Ogunquit and York.

Portland itself is a nice small city.

From Killington to York Harbor (closest of towns mentioned to Kilington)

is 3 hours, 10 minutes.

York to Bar Harbor(farthest away) is a little over 4 hours

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vermont to maine road trip

Thanks for the reply.

Can this trip be done in a loop? Want to take advantage of the fall color change.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vermont to maine road trip

How much time do you have? Incorporating Killington and ME coast is a pretty big loop. There is no best loop whether you are flying from Burlington or Boston. Also, best foliage will not be along the coast.

Burlington VT
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vermont to maine road trip

You can indeed do various loops. One large loop could include Rt 2 east/west and various highways covering the coast and the west/east leg.

Personally, I love the White Mtns in New Hampshire as well as the Green Mtns in VT for pretty foliage in early Oct. Note that the colors change early in the higher elevations and later down low and south.... so you can adjust your sightseeing as needed depending on where the best color is.

vermont
Level Contributor
97 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vermont to maine road trip

For more scenic time and less behind the wheel time - I suggest you fly into Boston - you should do the southern coast of ME, not as wildly breathtaking as Bar Harbor but absolutely gorgeous. I disagree with the post that ME coast won't have lovely foliage - it will be perfect that time of year and the ocean will only make it more spectacular. Whether you go to ME before or after Killington won't matter coming/going to Boston. The Killington area will have wonderful mountain hikes and drives to enjoy. I would hope your friend would be able to assist there but if not - ask me.

6. Re: vermont to maine road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 07:16