We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever wonder...

vermont
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ever wonder...

...if the reviews posted for individual inns/restaurants etc. might be written by the owners/management?

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever wonder...

.....or if the negative reviews are written by competing owners/management? Yes to both!

Hasta luego.

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ever wonder...

I've always assumed this to be the case. So, when looking up reviews I judge places as one might judge a competition - by throwing out the top and low review.

:) Ashley

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ever wonder...

We own an Inn and have also considered that question. (and no, we haven't posted a review on our own, don't have to, our lovely guests have left theirs!) I think that perhaps if there are only two or three reviews then you could be suspicious. However I believe Tripadvisor monitors this and I know you are unable to post more than one review per e-mail address. So it would have to be a pretty elaborate scheme to have any effect. Then of course if false postings result in visitors who have read the reviews on Tripadvisor (which I suspect could be the motive) then surely if the experience is not as described they will post negative to counteract any misleading information. As with any feedback forum there is always the possibility for abuse - but I suspect that is in the minority. Trust your instinct.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ever wonder...

This came up recently in Massachusetts forum. As one contributor pointed out, a good way to judge whether you're dealing with a "stealth" advertisement is to click on the history of postings by a particular reviewer. It becomes fairly obvious if the only reviews a person makes are for the same establishment, regardless of the expressed tastes of the person making the query. In the Boston case, something like 22 of 25 posts this person made were for the same hotel... regardless of the nature of the question posed by the original writer... one in particular went something like,

Q: "What is a good bus tour of Boston?"

A: "Reserve a room at the Omni Parker House. It is the most historical hotel in Boston, is where JFK porposed to Jackie, and the concierge will handle all the details for your tour"

I often find myself recommending the same places over and over, but that's because I do have favorites, like everyone. Also, we have to face the fact that the same questions get asked over and over and over...

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ever wonder...

There is a difference between reviews (where Tripadvisor will only allow one per e-mail address per property) and forum "recommendations" You can always check on someones previous posts and location on a forum (i.e if location shows they live in Stowe and are always posting recommendations for one particular Stowe lodging then it looks suspicious (why would you stay there if you live there??) - nothing personal Stowe - just an example! If you suspect solicitation on a forum report it and the post will be removed.

VT
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ever wonder...

I am sure there are plenty of abuses of this system. Some are obvious, some less so. As this and other consumer driven travel review sites become more popular one can only hope it remains a good reliable tool for sorting out the best places to stay... Not free advertising or competition bashing.

When I am using this site to plan my own travels, I find I really need to read between the lines. Remember these are not travel writers...some may be beginner travelers, some world travelers. I think it is a great idea to throw out the best and worst as well.

vermont
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ever wonder...

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I have found It always seems odd that a scathing/bad review would be followed by 3 very similar (very positive) reviews all posted about the same time. Recently I saw postings all within a few days of each other and with the same spelling mistakes. (hmmm}

So, I say read back a few post. Is there a bad post followed by a series of good ones that read like ads with no negatives at all? It seems that everyone really does read this website.

I love this website and find it very useful and with new websites for restaurant reviewing, the bar will be lifted and the consumer can be better informed.