We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip to New England in October

st. louis
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
10 day trip to New England in October

We are flying in to Providence in early October, and would like to see as much of New England as possible, but only have 2-3 base hotels/inns. Would The Berkshires in Massachusetts, Bar Harbour in Maine, and Providence or Newport be good choices? We would also like to try to do a day trip to Cape Cod. We are mostly going to enjoy the ambience of the small towns and the beautiful nature and scenery.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

Good morning Denid,

You're trying to cram too much inn! You should leave Bar Harbour out and aim for Newport, the Berkshires, Southern Vermont Woodstock and perhaps a day trip to Mount Washington NH. Even Cape Cod would be a fleeting visit...and do book you accommodation NOW! Rooms in Woodstock VT are selling fast as you are visiting during the busiest two weeks of the year..

st. louis
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

David,

Please don't tell me to leave out Maine! It's the place we were planning to spend the most time and looking the most forward to! How about if we leave out Cape Cod? I could live with that!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

Then do Maine and cross over to Vermont, either to Woodstock, Stowe or Manchester, and then back to Newport, that will give you your 3 bases, each with a different flavor. Leave out Cape Cod and the Berkshires.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

Denid,

Dave Vt he speaks sense.....! Do check out the village website www.woodstockvt.com

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

I agree with Dave. The Cape does not have the same beautiful foliage enjoyed by the rest of New England in the fall. Skip that part and visit the Cape another time.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

With all its maple trees, Vermont is the place to be for the fall colors. Stowe is a good choice, but so are the towns beside Lake Champlain. Shelburne is a cute little village seven miles south of Burlington, and only a few miles from Lake Champlain. You can pay a quick visit to Shelburne Farms, Shelburne Museum, and the Teddy Bear Factory! I you do stay here, I would recommend the Heart of the Village Inn.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

I agree with davebvt: skip Cape Cod. If you are arriving early Oct. then you should start in Bar Harbor (Acadia National Park is gorgeous and worth three days minimum). It is a full day drive from RI, and make note of rush hour traffic around Boston so you don't extend the trip sitting in traffic.

Then go to someplace in NH or VT and do day trips around the area. Newport you could do in one overnight/1-2 days, unless there is something particular there that is drawing you to that area.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

And I agree with NBPINVT, Newport should only take 1 or 2 days at most..

9. Re: 10 day trip to New England in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Vermont