We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

SLC
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Hello everyone!

Need some suggestions with Vermont part of our trip. My husband and I are travelling with our two kids - 15 y. old son and 13 y.old daughter. We will be driving on July 28th from Hartford Ct. I'd like to briefly stop in Northfield, Ma and Amherst before we get to Brattleboro. Maybe we'll have lunch there (any suggestions?).

From Brattleboro, I thought , we should get on rt 100 and drive to Woodstock stopping along the way in different towns. Is it a good idea? I am really interested in checking out some farms (organic food, artisan cheese, etc). The main purpose of this trip is to see new places and get a feel of New England.

Do you think I am trying to pack too much in one day from Hartford to Woodstock?

Should we stay one night in Woodstock and one night in Stowe? Or 2 night in Woodstock?

All in all we have 5 days/nights before we need to be in Boston.

Since we are so close to Montreal would it be a good idea to visit it for a day? (I don't know when we will be in the vicinity again). Or is it better to head to New Hampshire and spend 2-3 nights there?

Thank you for your help. You guys are great!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

One day to woodstock will let you see but barely experience new england especially if you want that cute leisurely lunch. Stay in one place for both nights in vt. Pick one. No right wrong choice with montreal vs. NH. But Montreal would be a much longer drive back to Boston. imho you will have a better time if you cover less ground. I will never understand why people want to visit a place known for its charm and quiet lifestyle by trying to see everything and not getting a chance to actually experience some of it.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Just remember you need passports/ gov id's to cross over the border, if you take that route.

That said, I agree with neslaw, better to cut down on the driving and forego Montreal. I would suggest 3 nights based in Woodstock, take a day trip to Waterbury/ Stowe/ Smugglers Notch/ area, (probably not enough time to fit in small capitol of Vermont, Montpelier, which is on the way to Waterbury/Stowe) and 2 based in the Jackson, NH area.

Brattleboro restaurants; Amy's Bakery Arts Cafe, Top of the Hill Grill-popular, seasonal bar-b-q spot, New England House.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Here is what I'd do:

Leave Hartford by 8:00am. Take stops in Amherst (Tip: Northampton, MA is a really nice place to visit for a little while. Your teenagers will like it too) and Northfield (why?) - then on to Brattleboro.

From Brattleboro, drive west on Rt 9 to Rt 100. This is a GORGEOUS drive (takes about 30 minutes). If you have the time, it's a great route to take. In Wilmington, get on Rt 100 and head north.

From Wilmington to Woodstock on Rt 100 takes about 2 hours. It's a beautiful drive. You'll pass by some little towns that you might want to stop at.

It'll be a long day, depending on how often you stop and for how long. But it will be nice.

Then hang out in the Woodstock area for 2 days.

If you have time, Montreal is a fantastic city and totally worth visiting. There is a ton to do & see there and your kids will love it too. But it's a good 5 hour drive from Woodstock to Montreal ...

SLC
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Thank you for your replies.

I understand we need to pace ourselves but I want to fit a lot in this trip. I do however, want spend some time in VT. 2 nights in Woodstock souns like an optimal solution.

davebvt, thanks for lunch suggestions!

Truman, i did mean Northampton and not Northfield. Now I am thinking if I should cancel our first night in Boston and add the day to go to Montreal.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

You know, Boston is an equally beautiful city.

Since you are going to be IN Boston already, and since the drive to Montreal is going to be so long ... I'd skip Montreal and spend the extra time in Boston.

You AND your kids will love Harvard Square and Newbury Street and Tremont Street. The ICA is great for contemporary art. The Museum of Fine Arts is Amazing. The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is a treasure. Take in a Red Sox game if you can get tix. Get an authentic Italian meal in the Old North End. Take in all of the American history by walking the "Freedom Trail". Paul Revere's house. The site of the Boston Tea Party. Some of the historical stuff is a little campy but you learn great stuff about US History. Walk in Boston Common ... one of the most beautiful city parks in America.

You'll save all of that time driving and replace it with time doing great things in a great city.

Boston is a beautiful city. Very safe. Very clean. Very difficult to drive in without getting lost ... just park the car and use the "T" (subway).

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

I second Truman's suggestion. Boston has as much, if not more to offer than Montreal. A couple more suggestions for Boston: the Boston Science Museum and Prudential Building Skywalk- 52 stories high 360 degree view of Boston.

SLC
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

my husband really liked the idea of skipping Montreal. He is a small town guy while i really like big cities. I can walk there hours on end.

So, I will keep our 4 nights in Boston and enjoy it. Yes, we are going to do lots of touristy things. We are looking forward towards seeing all the historical sights.

Thanks for the tip about the Skywalk and the science museum. We would love to visit both.

Back to Vermont. How easy is driving rt100? I mean, is it a windy mountaneous road?

Thanks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Just wondering, is SLC - Salt lake city? If it is then 100 is nowhere near what you are probably used to. If not, then the answer is a plain, not to worry, it is an easy road.

SLC
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Yes, it is Salt Lake City.

thanks!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed with last minute decisions

Rt 100 is the easiest, most enjoyable drive that you can imagine -- especially in the summer.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 04:01
Get answers to your questions about Vermont