We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

Hi there,

My wife has to travel to this area on business for a week in August and I am thinking of taking some time off to join her.

Any recommendations on things to do? I know there is a big lake nearby - any public beaches? Boat rentals? Anything?! Long hikes are not really my thing, but so far that's all I'm finding to do.

Also, any recommendations on places to stay would be nice. Would like a pool, comfy settings since I might be hanging around the place just relaxing/reading while she is working.

Hope to get some responses! Thanks!

-Green Mountain Dragon

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

You will be in the area of Vermont called the Northeast Kingdom. There is a website www.travelthekingdom.com for this area that might be helpful.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

Poked around that site - thanks for it.

However, anyone with personal experience? Things to do? Places to eat? It is probably indicative that the Northeast Kingdom forum on TA has zero entries. :-(

Thanks,

VT-bound Dragon

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

The Northeast Kingdom is a gorgeous part of Vermont known most for its natural beauty. It is rural and therefore would not attract a lot of tourist attention. This does not mean there isn't plenty to do and see, but it's more in the realm of nature-related activities. I would not worry about a particular forum not having entries; instead do a search in the Vermont forums for Northeast Kingdom and you'll find some discussions about the area.

I don't know about boat rentals but I would suggest contacting the Newport Chamber of Commerce to ask for ideas. The lake is very big, so I am sure you'll find something.

If you are into mountain biking, East Burke has a network of trails that are really super. If you are into history, the Old Stone House Museum in Brownington is very interesting with a two-story structure you can climb for amazing views of northern Vermont's mountains.

Grab a book or two by Howard Frank Mosher to get a feel for the people and environment of the Northeast Kingdom!

Newport Center...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

Hello! I am a NEK native and i have plenty of advice for you.

If you are interested in a nice comfy hotel with a pool the newport City Hotel is perfect. If you are looking for a more outdoors-y experience Prouty beach campground is located right on the beach and has soem great tenting. If you do not stay at prouty beach you can pay admission for the day ($3) for adults under 55, with that you can use the beach and rent boats and bikes and all kinds of stuff. They also have tennis courts for rent. their number is 802 334 7951 for more information.

There is a bunch of great pizza places, chinese, thai and italian places in town as well as a couple berger joints and old fasion snack bars. If you have some free time on the weekend it is a nice drive to jay to see the resort and it's indoor ice arena. If you are up arround the 13 th of august there is also the August west fest in Jay with live music and vendors...ALWAYS GREAT

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

Thanks to you both for the great suggestions. I'm looking forward to my trip. Unfortunately we'll be returning from the NEK on 8/12 so won't be able to attend the festival.

-VT Lovin' Dragon

Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

For new readers of this post, I second the Old Stone House Museum in Brownington. I have been going there on trips to Vermont for 30 years and find it fascinating every time. Yesterday was Old Stone House Days and if you're in the area at this time next year I'd highly recommend it. They had exhibits of wool spinning and other traditional skills, historic games and toys on the lawn, music, food by local women, tours of the Old Stone House, craft vendors and stage coach rides by a local family! It is a small town event, that was small enough to be able to relax and enjoy it and enough things of interest to make it a great day. All in a beautiful setting.

And the Old Stone House Museum is four floors of history and artifacts from it's days as a boarding school, that includes other related buildings, as well as a barn filled with artifacts. I loved the place as a child and still do as an adult

7. Re: Derby / Newport area questions - need your help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 13:15