We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont in November

Arizona
Level Contributor
122 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vermont in November

We are thinking about an overnight visit to Vermont around Veteran's Day (Nov. 11).

Can anyone tell me what the weather is usually like around this time of year?

This is the one state in New England that my husband has not been to and it has probably been about 30 years since I have been there, so I'm looking for just about any advice.

We're not sure how much time we might have and we're hoping it can be an overnight stay, but it might just be a day trip, so we're thinking probably southern Vermont area and not going too far north since we'll be driving up from SE Massachusetts.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to see / do? What area/town should we look at? Any recommendations on places to stay?

I know this is pretty vague and I apologize for that, but I appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont in November

November is the off season in Vermont -- also known as 'stick season'.

The fall color has passed. The leaves are mostly off of the trees. The skys are grey. It's below freezing every night and most days too. The snow has not yet come (unless it's a remarkably early snow season). So everything just looks brown, grey ... blah.

There are very few tourists in November. In the resort towns, many restaurants and inns are closed for the month.

It's hunting season, so hiking and walking in the woods is a bad idea, unless you're looking to bag a buck.

In some ways, it's nice. The lack of tourists means that there is plenty of room for you in restaurants (the ones that are open) and things just feel very quiet.

For you, I'd say checkout Woodstock Vermont. Beautiful, quaint little tourist town. Check out Queechee Gorge. The VINS raptor center. If you have kids or are just a playful soul, goto the Montshire Museum. Check out Simon Pierce glass, if they are open. These are all of the standard stops for first time visitors to this area.

If you like something different, there is a really cool architectural salvage store in White River Junction. Really cool old stuff packed into a big old industrial building in downtown WRJ.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont in November

Woodstock as mentioned in the previous post is good, so is Quechee, so is the windsor covered bridge across the CT river up 91, so is the town of Weston and the original VT Country store along with several other charming stores. A great place to have dinner in this area is Leslie's Restaurant in Rockingham.

Enjoy!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont in November

I don't want to argue, but Truman isn't quite right. Very few places close in November. I happen to think it's a lovely time of year to be in Vermont. With the leaves off the trees it opens up your views. Although hunting season runs through most of the month of November, is doesn't mean you can't enter the woods, just be safe and wear lots of hunter orange.

If you can spend a night I would recommend coming into Vermont through Williamstown MA on Route 7 north. Stop at the many antique stores that dot this route. In Arlington you might want to go off route a little and see the cover bridges in the area. Continue north to Manchester,VT, where a stop at the Northshire Book store is a must. It's also a great place for lunch. When you tire of Manchester take Route 11/30 east toward Winhall,VT. When the road splits at the top of the mountain, take Route 30 toward Stratton,VT. I you want to see the mountain you could spend the night up there, or try out the Red Fox Inn it's a local favorite http://www.redfoxinn.com/

The next day continue east on Route 30. It's going to wined through the hills and several great little towns, including Jamaica, Townsend, Newfane, and finally Brattleboro. This is where you can pick up I-91 south to take you back home.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont in November

The areas below take you in different routes from the Cape, Both would be enjoyable, An overnight stay would allow for a lot more discovery and relaxation.

Woodstock/ Quechee/ Norwich area ( East Central Vermont)

Bennington, Arlington, Manchester area. (Southwest Vermont) Catch Brattleboro on the way back...meaning a loop in your drive, instead of a straight line back and forth..

You could do this( go back via Brattleboro) for the 1st group of towns, going back a totally different route. You could, then, also include, Rockingham where another Vermont Country Store is also located, not too far off Rt. 91

5. Re: Vermont in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:17