We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Hi we are coming from England and would like to see the colours of the fall, and also have been told to go to cape cod. can anyone advice on best route and lovely B && B to stay pls? we will travelling to and from Boston

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Swanton, Vermont
Level Contributor
24 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

I would suggest woodstock since it has some WONDERFUL bed and breakfasts. I own a bed and breakfast, but it is in Northern Vermont and the colors will be slightly past peak then and it is further from Boston. Southern Vermont should be at peak then. Either way, make your reservations asap, since inns sell out every single day during that time of year. Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

At that time of year I would stick with the lower parts of New Hampshire, Vermont and mid sections of Mass as well as Connecticut. From Boston you could make your way through the Monadnock Region of NH, consider this area as a base for a couple of days and do some day trips into neighboring VT, the drive over Hogback Mt should be beautiful, wander some back roads through Newfane, Weston, VT, return via Rt 12 along the CT River, visit Saint Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish NH,stop at Walpole for chocolates, Keene has several nice restaurants, also some nice B and Bs in Swanzey, home of 6 covered bridges. The Berkshires in western Mass are home to the Normal Rockwell Museum, Chester French homestead. Be sure to take some time to just wander, there should be beautiful foliage around most any corner, you can't really get lost, you will always come out someplace!

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Newfane
Newfane
Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, its easternmost section, and this will be their off season, they are not known for their fall colors. This a popular place in the summer for its beaches.

To see fall colors, Southern Vermont is a great place to visit. Woodstock/ Quechee area is nice. Consider Manchester/ Dorest, Arlington area, and Chester which are a little farther south and I am only guessing that foliage may be a little brighter there by that time.

Here are a few ideas of nice Inns/ B & B's in southern Vermont.

West Mountain Inn, Arlington

Deerhill Inn, West Dover

White House Inn, Wilmington

Inn Victoria, Chester

Echo Lake Inn, Ludlow

Vermont Inn, Killington

40 Putney Rd B&B, Brattleboro

A few roads for touring:

Route 100 is a north south route - from central to southern Vermont

Route 7a in the southwest corner, Manchester to Bennington, a north-south route

Route 9 , an east-west route, in the southern part of Vermont, Bennington to Brattelboro

Route 30 -Manchester to Castleton, a north-south route

Could drive into into Western Massachusetts to the town of Williamstown, which is a nice small college town, this could be done using routes 7a & 7.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 19:41
Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Chester
Chester
Vermont
Ludlow
Ludlow
Vermont
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Vermont
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Afternoon SurreyFusspot (great name!)

Woodstock VT should be on your radar. The village is usually a 'must see' and if you check the village website out (www.woodstockvt.com) you will find many different style, prices and levels of accommodation. However upon checking availability at most inns I see they are filling up fast so BOOK NOW!

DO NOT THINK OF WINGING IT...you'll regret it at that time of year.

Having moved here from the UK to co-own an inn located in the village I know Woodstock well, the first two weeks of October is VERY busy and the time you are thinking of coming is ideal to avoid the madness of the rush Rest assured you should still be able to see loads of colour.

DaveBT has some great routes suggested and I always think that route 100 is traditionally the 'leaf peeping' route.

Boston Logan to Woodstock is an easy 2.5 hours drive via I93 & I89 and Cape Cod is about 2.5 hours south of Boston . In late October it will be deserted and beautiful (think Devon in winter but with a little less green) so it is worth seeing.

My only other suggestion is spend 2 nights in a location if possible as you will end up seeing more than moving on every night.

Happy planning,

David

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Bump

surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Hi david

thank you so much for your very helpful email. What is the name of your Inn in woodstoke? is it the woodstoker?

surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Thank you so much for taking so much trouble and sending us this helpful email.

Burlington VT
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

The colors are generally well past here in northern VT by Oct 15th or so. I expect that Woodstock is also significantly past peak then too, but Davidbignose can comment best.

So sticking with the southern areas of the state is a good plan. If it's an oddly late year for color, you can always do some scenic drives to find color elsewhere. The leaves generally turn in late Sept in the northern parts of the state, and the higher elevations where it's cooler. Mid-Oct is the approx time for peak colors in the mid and southern parts of VT & NH.

Cape Cod is lovely, with many pretty ocean beaches, great seafood and charming (though expensive) seaside towns. We especially like Provincetown, at the very end of the Cape for it's colorful characters, art galleries and great seashore.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

Thank you so much

10. Re: best route to the see the fall in 5 days from oct 17th to 21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 13:16