We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roads and accommodation Vermont

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
roads and accommodation Vermont

I am getting worried about roads and accommodation having read forum.

My husband and I are driving from Stamford in Conneticut up through Vermont to Quebec. We have to be in Quebec the evening of 7th October and leave Stamford morning of 6th. I do know it is quite a drive but we are Australian and live in the country so very used to long drives.So we have 2 days. We would like to see some of the countryside on way.

Which is the best route for us to take and where would you suggest we aim to stay on 6th? Are the roads and foliage affected badly by hurricane...where do we need to avoid?

We then return to Boston via Maine on 10th and 11th Oct. We could reverse the trip but looking at foliage map I thought this would be best order to see colour.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roads and accommodation Vermont

G'day Kezbar,

It is too early to tell you which roads may still be difficult to navigate. All interstates are open and have never been closed. Most major routes are now back open. Some minor roads may have delays but many have been repaired in the last three weeks and many more will be opening in the next three weeks. Check back in the first week of October.

You should face very few driving problems. The foliage should be greatly improved by all the moisture from the tropical storms, so you've picked the right year to visit!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: roads and accommodation Vermont

G'day to you too!

Thank you. I did feel that was the case, so good to be reassured. It is heartening that things have been able to be repaired so quickly after such devastation. It has been a year for it really.

Do you think we should head for Woodstock as a good halfway place to stop?Is there another town that we should consider?

Can we book on way or , as others have suggested, should I book now as it will be a busy time?I have been browsing the accommodation and finding some fully booked.

Also, I have been trying to plan our route and can not decide whether to come via West Cornwall Stockbridge or .......? So many choices. Any recommendations?

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roads and accommodation Vermont

you will not face traveling problems, roads are open.....with a few well marked detours

Three good scenic routes to try include:

rt # 7

Rt # 100

Rt # 5

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roads and accommodation Vermont

G'day again Kazbar,

Woodstock is a great stop off point but DO pre-book your accommodation! Look at the village website www.woodstockvt.com where you will find multiple lodging options. This year some cancellations have occurred as some folks seem to think Vermont is like Haiti, which it never was and currently is not!

The only issue you may have is some inns may not accept a one night reservation even at this juncture, so e-mail/phone to see who will....

I cannot urge you enough to NOT BOOK ON THE ROAD... as you will probably end up staying miles away IF you can find a room, as you are visiting during the busiest week of the year.

As to driving routes....aim for I91 to speed things up and then do detours. Stockridge is worth a visit and might you consider 2 nights in Woodstock? The drive up I91 to the Quebec border takes about three hours, if you are aiming for Montreal you can be in the city via I89 in a little over 3 hours.

From Connecticut direct takes about 3.5 hours to drive up to the southern part of the State without stopping. As you say coming from Oz the driving here is a breeze and petrol is oh sooooo cheap!

5. Re: roads and accommodation Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Vermont