We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

San Jose, CA
4 posts
Save Topic
Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Hi,

Myself, husband and 7 yr. old son are from CA and will be coming to VT and NH for 2 weeks, 8-7 thru 8-21. We will be renting a motorhome for the trip. Would love advice, tips, etc. Are there too many activities, too little? We have never been to VT and NH and are looking to discover the outdoors as well as get a taste of the history and culture. We will be driving on AAA rated scenic roads as much as possible.

8/8: Drive to Bennington on Hwy.9 from Hinsdale, NH. Visit Bennington Battle Monument and Museum, vist Hildene. Overnight at Emerald State Park.

8/9: Canoe on the Battenkill river. Overnight at Emerald State Park.

8/10: Drive to Woodstock, stop at Mt. Tom, Quechee Gorge, Billings Farm and Museum. Overnight at Emerald State Park.

8/11: Drive to Middlebury, visit Robert Frost Interpretive Trail. Drive to Shelburne, visit Shelburne Museum. Overnight at Lone Pines Campground, Colchester.

8/12: Tour Lake Champlain on The Spirit of Ethan Allen III. Drive to Waterbury to Ben & Jerry's. Overnight at Lone Pines Campground

8/13: Driving tour of Lake Champlain Islands I found in Frommer's guide. Overnight at Lone Pines Campground.

8/14 Drive to NH.

Mentioned in this post
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Good for you! I am sure your son will love the adventure. Since you mentioned Robert Frost, I thought I'd mention he is buried in Bennington at the Old First Church, right behind the Bennington Museum. Also, there is a Robert Frost House Museum in Shaftsbury, VT (town north of Bennington), here is their website: http://www.frostfriends.org/

Also, check with Battenkill Canoe in Arlington regarding conditions before you go canoeing. August is low water, but they can rent you the equipment, shuttle you, and advise you on where to put in/take out.

I'll let the more northern TAers advise you on the rest of your trip. Enjoy!

Mass
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

When you head back to NH, consider the Kangamangus Highway. Interesting and Scenic.

There are plenty of campgrounds along the way also. Just off Rte. 93 in the Lincoln, NH area

there are several things to do. Clark's Bears & Trading Post, Hobo Railroad, Whales Tale Water Park. Check out www.visitnh.gov and ucampnh.com

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Shelburne Museum isn't a quick stop. You really need a full day there to see everything. Instead of Shelburne Museum, maybe check out Shelburne Farms?

Other than that, sounds like a good plan!

Vermont
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Wow...Sounds like a great trip! A couple of recommendations though...

Definitely drive the Kangamangus Highway in NH...Very beautiful! You may even see some moose...we live in VT, but go every summer...or fall, we love it up there..Santas village is up outide Lincoln, NH...and is a fun, small park your son would love...or in NH, in the White Mountains, Clarks trading post is always fun...

While in Quechee/Woodstock....stop by Simon Pearce Glass (it's not even a mile from the Quechee Gorge) in either Quechee or Windsor...Unbelievable artists at work, blowing glass...you can watch it at both locations, and Quechee has a restaurant I highly recommend, though a little pricey, excellent food :-)

It sounds like your working your way North through VT...from Burlington, if you drive east across Vermont to NH from Burlington, you'll be at the North part of the white mountains.

Have Fun! Someday, we'd love to see CA :-)

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Windsor
Windsor
Vermont
Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Ohhhhh! Great trip! Let us all know how it goes:)

Ash

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
184 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

HI, I'M a Floridian now, but I grew up on th e VT/N.H. border and we still take our kids up every summer, there is soo much to do with your son, especially in N.H. Right around Lincoln N.H, you have Clarks Bears , Whales Tail ( water slides), jefferson , N.H. has Santa's Village, which is awesome. There is also "Lost River &" The Flume" not too far a drive from Lincoln, N.H, which if I remember correctly are off the kagamangous Highway, which is the most beautiful drive. You should deffinately stay in Lincoln a night so that you can fit these things in, or stay in a B& B aroeund the Flume or Lost River, there is alot of walking for both of these, but I have done in when the kids were small.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Glad you're coming to see the sights; it's beautiful up here. Two suggestions though: start early enough to get to your destination by early afternoon, and if you see 3-5 cars behind you, pull over to let them pass. I really hate being stuck behind a motorhome struggling to make 45 mph i the mountains. I realize it's the best these rigs can do, but be considerate of the other drivers.

I'm driving the Kank on Wed. and I anticipate lots of delays and profanity.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

Yes definitely stop at Simon Pearce Glass in Quechee

Lone Pine is a good camp ground. There is Bayside Park just down the road from it where you could spend some time at the beach. The bike path is just across the street from Lone Pine entrance so you could ride or easy walk and be off the traveled road to the Park.

I suggest a stop at Allenholm Farm in South Hero (Lake Champlain Island), Apple orchard with a petting zoo and fun stuff to do. A nice silver handmade jewelry store, Silver by Tish on the same street, South Street I believe.

The Ethan Allen boat ride is well worth it. Make sure to leave time stroll the Burlington Waterfront and Boat House, and a walk up Church Street an outdoor pedestrian mall. Nice museum I bet your son would enjoy Echo Center right on the waterfront.

Mentioned in this post
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
184 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

We just got back from our 10 days up in Vt. & N.H. you might visit the Shelburne Museum, just outside of Burlington. ***It will take you a full day***, it consists of several new england style homes brought in from around new england dating from the 18th century and up, also has the original Ticonderoga steam ship from 1906, the story of how they got it to the museum grounds is quite interesting, we really enjoyed this, not sure if a 7 year old would or not.We also took the Ferry from Shoreham, Vt across Lake Champlain over to Fort Ticonderoga,and drove south 45 minutes on interstat to the six Flag "Great Escape Park", it is a roller coaster & water slide park. In N.H. we did the usual things in the White mountain area, as I stated before " The Flume" on the kangamangus hoghway ( an absolute must for a scenic drive" and also the " The lost River outside of Lincolm are awesome.The weather was gorgeous for us, have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Shoreham
Shoreham
Vermont
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
184 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aug. Vermont Motorhome Trip

P.S If you don't make the Robert frost museum in Vt, there is one right off the Franconia, NH exit off I93, I didn't go in it, but mom is in a nursing home right around the corner so i passed it every day I was over in the white mts.

Mentioned in this post
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Get answers to your questions about Vermont