We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time ski vacation.

7 posts
Save Topic
First time ski vacation.

Hello, can someone recommend a nice ski resort in Vermont that offers skiing for beginners. This will be the first ski vaction for me and my wife. We would prefer a place that has nice accomadations but not extremely large and noisy. We would like to go the week of XMAS or the week before. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time ski vacation.

Every resort offers beginner lessons. Xmas week is the busiest and most expensive week so you need to move on accommodations ASAP. The type of lodging will be determined by your budget. Many places have condos if you are renting for a week. IMHO, Xmas is best spent at one of the larger resorts which will have other activities. My family spent many years at Stratton. But, Stowe, Sugerbush, Mt Snow, would all be great.

I purposefully have not suggested the smaller places or Killington (the beast of the east) but that is just a personal preference given what you are looking for and others will disagree.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time ski vacation.

Morning Jazz727,

If you are really just beginning then a small hill like Suicide Six in Woodstock could fit the bill as you may want to learn? The Woodstock Inn does offer packages with free skiing, but you'll have to check about Xmas week. If you progress well Killington is only 25 minutes away.

If you want an all round small but practical resort then Sugarbush might fit your bill.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time ski vacation.

Jazz - Let us know what else interests you, if you'd like to do anything other than hole up at the resort in the evenings. Some resorts are self-contained, but don't have much else to do nearby. Others have a variety of other activities, restaurants, pubs, etc... etc...

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time ski vacation.

Thank you for the responses, I should have been more specific. My wife would like to stay somewhere in Vermont that offers nice accomadations ( like an Inn or Bed and Breakfast) that is in close proximity to shopping, dining and skiing. Thanks

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time ski vacation.

You might like Manchester, just downhill from Bromley Mountain which is well-known locally as a fun family ski area. It's not as big as many other ski areas, and the area offers all the activities you mention. If you need a bigger mountain, Stratton is also nearby.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time ski vacation.

Still haven't been real specific. If you stay in the Stratton, Bromley, Okemo area then you have 3 good mountains and close to Manchester which has shopping. Lots of inns and b and b's, but again, better start making reservations. Don't know where you are coming from so difficult to know if anyplace is more or less convenient. If you are flying into Burlington then Stowe has the most ski and apres ski.

Another area you could consider is North Conway, NH which has shopping, lodging and Cranmore and Attitash for excellent beginner ski lessons.

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time ski vacation.

If you have never skied before Sugarbush offers the First Timer to Life Timer pass. For $255 you get three days of lessons & gear. When you finish the three days you get an unrestricted seasons pass worth $1500+. There are great B&B's, restaurants and a much more relaxed vibe than Stowe & Killington but with all the facilities needed for world class skiing & riding. It is quite the deal if you plan on continuing the sport.

8. Re: First time ski vacation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 08:27