We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Microbreweries

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Local Microbreweries

I'm spending a little over a week visiting Jay, White River Junction, Grafton, Chittenden and Stowe. I've heard there are several good microbreweries throughout the state. Are there any microbreweries near my destinations, or do I need to stop by another town to try some of the state's best suds?

Mentioned in this post
Jay
Jay
Northeast Kingdom, VT
Grafton Inn
Grafton Inn
362 Reviews
Grafton, VT
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Microbreweries

Hi Stewie 55,

Just up the road from White River Junction you will find the Norwich Inn that brews 4 beers (they rotate the selections) that you can only consume on their premises.

In Windsor you have the Harpoon Brewery and on route 4 in Bridgewater you have the LongTrail brewery. If you look at the Vermont Breweries site you will find heaps of information. http://brewersvt.com

Happy slurping.....

Mentioned in this post
The Norwich Inn
The Norwich Inn
366 Reviews
Norwich, VT
Windsor
Windsor
Ontario, Canada
Harpoon Brewery
Harpoon Brewery
257 Reviews
Windsor, VT
The Vermont Inn
The Vermont Inn
232 Reviews
Mendon, VT
J H
Boston, MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Microbreweries

Stewie...Norwich/Long Trail/Harpoon are just okay. If you're truly looking for the state's best beers, they are as follows:

1) The Alchemist -- brewpub in Waterbury, Vermont (this is at the same exit off of I-89 as Stowe, just go about 1-2 miles west instead of east). In my humble opinion the very finest brew Vermont has to offer. Hoppy, original, and good eats too.

2) Zero Gravity at American Flatbread in Burlington, Vermont. American Flatbread brews their own beer, also very good.

3) Lawson's finest liquids. This one's a little harder to come by as it is brewed by one guy and he supplies to the Warren/Waitsfield area only. You can buy bottles at the Warren Store in Warren, Vermont.

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Vermont
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
92 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Vermont
Vermont
United States
American Flatbread
American Flatbread
1,204 Reviews
Burlington, VT
The Warren Lodge
The Warren Lodge
175 Reviews
Warren, VT
Warren
Warren
Vermont
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Microbreweries

The Shed in Stowe has good on-site brews.

IMHO, the best local beer (ever, anywhere) is Switchback Ale. Only sold in kegs (alas!), but available at many pubs in BTV and presumably Stowe and elsewhere.

I have a feeling The Alchemist got severely damaged by the flooding this summer. It may be back up and running - hope so!

(Edited to add:) Alas. Sounds like it is closed:

…boston.com/2011-11-18/lifestyle/30415621_1_…

Edited: 30 December 2011, 01:59
Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
92 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Microbreweries

all the above is quite true...........but the best of all is a local Scottish Pub in Chester called; MacLaomains Scottish Pub. Although the beer is not a microbrew...it is most definitely an authentic, on tap Belhaven. A Scottish Ale imported in kegs and can't be found anywhere else in VT.

Exceptional Beer!

Enjoy your travels

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Vermont
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Microbreweries

Unfortunately both The Shed and The Alchemist restaurant/pubs are closed.

The Alchemist still does brew beer at the Cannery off 100.

Otter Creek bought the name/recipes of The Shed and will begin brewing it.

Mentioned in this post
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
92 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Microbreweries

Thanks VTer - Sorry to hear that the Shed's not doing their signature Mtn. Ale... but good that Otter Creek will pick it up. OK - So the Shed is OFF the list now.... (never was impressed with their food).

Happy new year all!

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Microbreweries

Vermont Pub & Brewery in Burlington has some nice brews as does Zero Gravity which operates out of American Flatbreads Burlington Hearth. If you can find any Hill Farmstead brews, they are quite good. The brewery is located in the Northeast Kingdom..look them up as they have a retail outlet on sight. Also if you are in the Mad River Valley stop in at The Warren Store or eat at Flatbread, The Common Man or the Mad Taco for some of Lawsons Finest Liquids. Sean is a great brewery with a very small facility in Warren. And Def. hit up the Alchemist Cannery for some Heady Topper. We are soo sad they will not be reopening. John is the best brewer in VT hands down!

Cheers!

Luke

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
The Warren Lodge
The Warren Lodge
175 Reviews
Warren, VT
Warren
Warren
Vermont
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
92 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Microbreweries

One more thought. If you are in Motpelier go to the Three Penny Tap Room for lots of local brews, the same goes for the Farm House Tap & Grill in Burlington.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Microbreweries

Thank you all for your advice. I tried many of the above listed beers, Lawson's Finest Liquids, several types of Long Trail and Harpoon, Switchback, and the Scottish import Belhaven. I was frequently pleased by the quality of beer in the state. Off to get another!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Microbreweries

Glad you enjoyed! If any places/beers stood out, do let us know your thoughts. :)