We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good route to take?

Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good route to take?

I have a very weird question but need some of your opinions so I can make the most of our time while vacationing. My family and I will be taking a vacation to the New England area in late May and/or early June. We will be flying in/out of Boston with sight-seeing there and day-tripping to Maine. The biggest part of our trip though is to travel into New Hampshire and Vermont. I have a route semi-planned and want to know if you think this would be a good route with little to no back-tracking (I know there will be some back tracking). We will have 7-8 days to travel and see the sights. Here is the route: Arrive Boston, travel to Meredith, NH (1night) then to Graniteville, VT, Shelburne, Burlington?, Stowe, Plymouth and finally to Ludlow before we had back to Boston. Is it doable in that amount of time? Is that a good route? Thank you for your help

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good route to take?

are you planning to stay in different places every nite?

Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good route to take?

We don't want to stay in different placess each night but figured that we would have to. Is there a place that we could call as a "base" and do some of the sights on day trips? Maybe Granitville to see the sights in the upper part?! I don't know, this is where you opinion would come in real handy. Thanks again.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good route to take?

Vermont and New Hampshire are really small states. You could pick one or two places to light down at night, and cover all those places you listed with nice easy day trips. I would say, depending on what your planning to do while here, you have more then enough time.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good route to take?

I would think staying in the southwest corner of New Hampshire would give you good access to Vermont, Mass and New Hampshire.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good route to take?

You'll be day-tripping to Maine from Boston? That's quite a long haul for a day trip... why not just include a stop in Maine on your way north? You could pass through Portsmouth, NH and then stay in, say, Kennebunkport before heading west towards Meredith.

Meredith is a good base for exploring the Lakes Region, but I would make sure not to miss the White Mountains as well. Two nights in Meredith would allow you to experience both regions before moving on to Vermont. You could also stay in the WM (e.g. Lincoln or North Conway) and visit the Lakes Region as a day trip instead.

As for northern VT, just choose between Stowe or Burlington as your base for a couple of nights. (If you choose to stay in NH's Lakes Region, then I might choose Stowe for a change of scenery. if you stay in the White Mountains, then consider Burlington). Is there any reason why you came up with Graniteville?

For your final base, any number of villages in southern VT or southwestern NH would be fine. Although I would probably choose somewhere like Woodstock or Grafton over Ludlow, or maybe Keene, NH. You can return to Boston from here.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good route to take?

Burlington is a nice home base for Stowe (1 hr away) and Shelburne (25 min away).

7. Re: Is this a good route to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2013, 10:28