We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting from Australia 6 day road trip suggestions

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
visiting from Australia 6 day road trip suggestions

we are visiting next september hoping to do a trip from montreal in a loop down through Vermont and back up to Quebec for about 6or 7 days

I have heard that Stowe,Wood stock and the white mountain areas ?Jackson]are nice .Any absolute must see, or stay ,or dine suggestions ..We will then be doing a cruise from Quebec down to New York,so that should show us some nice parts of Maine act

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting from Australia 6 day road trip suggestions

G'day Jenny6440,

Well you've picked a suitable time to visit and should be able to see a fair but. Montreal to Vermont border is very easy and takes about 1 hour, 2 hours driving to Burlington, 3 hours to Woodstock and I estimate about 5 hours from Jackson NH back to Quebec.

Where do you fly in from as this could alter the order in which you see things? For instance if you are initially flying into New York you could drive up from there, but I would also caution about one way car hire to Canada as it is very expensive if indeed you can get it at all. Thus a Montreal/Quebec city round trip car hire could work out MUCH cheaper

Woodstock to Jackson NH takes about 2.5 hours and you can go via Mount Washington.

Woodstock is certainly on your radar and you should spend the night here, so check out www.woodstockvt.com the village website.

Once you have finalised your actual nights where I will happily give you precise advice of what to see, eat and do!

Happy planning...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting from Australia 6 day road trip suggestions

thank you for the advice .we are flying into Montreal and leaving from Quebec so the car hire is ok.

Would the best route would be to go to Stowe first then down to woodstock .

Do you think it is worth going further south down to Burlington region and then back up to Jackson??

Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting from Australia 6 day road trip suggestions

Hi Jenny6440,

Montreal to Burlington VT is about 1.5 to 2 hours by car. You will hit Burlington first, then Stowe, then Woodstock. If you are arriving at the end of September, you will be able to see some foliage. If you want a nice scenic drive and want to see a different scene of Quebec and Vermont, I can guide you with a nice route. Instead of doing the highway drive from Montreal into St. Jean-sur-Richelieu, then into the main border of Phillipsburg / Highgate of Vermont, I would advice you to take a shorter highway route, then through some really nice country roads in Quebec, bringing you into a small border crossing of Vermont, then through the Lake Champlain Islands of Vermont, and finally into Burlington. This route takes just about the same time as the other but with a much nicer drive. Stowe is about a 45 minute drive from Burlington.

When heading to Quebec City from Vermont, again I can guide you through some very nice scenic route with small quaint towns and wonderful vineyards. If you are interested, let me know.

How long do you plan to spend in Montreal upon arrival? There are some places in Montreal you should see, along with places in Vermont and Quebec City.

Cheers.

4. Re: visiting from Australia 6 day road trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:29