We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving itinerary Vermont to Maine

Indialantic, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Driving itinerary Vermont to Maine

We are in the early planning stage of a summer trip to Vermont and would like to add a few days to drive to Maine. Can anyone give us suggestions on scenic drives and quaint stops as this is our chance as Floridians to see it. We at thinking we may fly in and out of Burlington although we have not booked yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving itinerary Vermont to Maine

I would suggest you consider flying into Burlington and out of Boston or Manchester, NH (or vice versa). This will cut down considerably on your driving time.

What part of Maine are you interested in seeing: southern beaches, mid-coast Maine, or perhaps Acadia National Park (my personal favorite)?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,886 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving itinerary Vermont to Maine

Godd comments above. There are a couple of primary options:

1. Take Rt. 2 from Burlington to Bangor/Bar HarborAcadia. Acadia National Park is superb - onle of the best in the country IMHO, but.... If you've only got 2-3 days, I wouldn't do this, since it's ~8 hours' drive from BTV to Acadia. If you fly out of Boston or Manchester, that would cut the drive to your flight home to ~5 hours.

2. Take I-89 from BTV to Concord or Manchester, NH, then cut over to the coast and drive up as far as you'd like. Boothbay Harbor and Camden are pretty towns, and both are within a 6 hour drive of BTV and 3-4 hours to Boston.

Feel free to ask for specifics as you home in on what you want to do.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving itinerary Vermont to Maine

Might want to consider some time in New Hampshire, as you will be driving through it to get to Maine. There is plenty of great scenery, restaurants, lodging.

4. Re: Driving itinerary Vermont to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 10:37