We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

We (family of 3) are planning to drive to Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH) for the Dimensions Event on Apr. 18

I am thinking for an overnight stopover along the way. Could anyone recommend the easy route from Toronto and safe family oriented place (hotel) for a stopover along the route?

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

Evening Canada Voyager,

Personally I'd go through Canada as it is more scenic, has better roads and it would allow you to stop either in Montreal where you have a good choice of accommodation, or in the very north of Vermont, or even in Burlington VT

You could drive it in one stop however as I've done a few times, takes about 8 hours, and in that case you might cut through the border into northern New York and then aim for Burlington VT. Once on I89 the trip from Burlington takes about 2 hours and is a very simple drive.

Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

Hi, Davidbignose!

Thank you for the suggestions - I am leaning towards Montreal. It is a bit of detour, however, as you mentioned, plenty of choices for accommodation.

Best Regards

North
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

Personally I would drive through Adirondacks and take the Lake Champlain ferry, stop in Stowe, VT and then to Hanover. Lake Placid is a nice scenic overnight stop.

ontario
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

We are going from Toronto to Stowe this summer. My plan is to drive through Kingston to Lake Placid, staying there for two nights. And then we will spend 4 days at Burlington, Waterbury and Stowe.

5. Re: Driving from Toronto, Ontario to Hanover, NH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:16