We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is consider peak season on fall foliage

petaluma
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What is consider peak season on fall foliage

Being from California where the leave go from green to brown then fall off .

I would like to know.

1 what peak color is considered.

2 if leaves turn yellow how long will they stay till they turn red, and how long will the stay red

Hotels

I would prefer to book hotels as I go depending the leaves but what I have read six month in advance is advised.

So my main hotel question is during peak season is it possible to find a ( $150) hotel in a 75 mile range the day before. I would prefer to book my first few hotels then see where I want to go from there or is this not advised.

Thanks

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is consider peak season on fall foliage

Morning Jetlagdog,

1 & 2) Colour peaks at different times throughout New England but traditionally 1st two weeks of October are the busiest, most expensive and usually the best...but one is dealing with nature so the event doesn't start and stop on certain dates.

Hotels @ $150.00 a night there will be a few but these will be booking up now or already have been booked. To leave anything until 24 hours before you need it might involve seeing Woodstock during the day but staying near Boston for the night......things really do book up early specially those more economical rooms. In the inn I co-own we already have tentative reservations for 2013!

Book a few lodging places for a few nights NOW and then do day trips out....if you leave it until the last moment the choice and TA ratings on the few places available may well not impress you...if indeed you can find any rooms at all!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is consider peak season on fall foliage

It is usually the week before or after you visit. Or it will be North or South of where you are and traffic will be horrible our you may catch it perfectly but it will be windy and rainy. Enjoy!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is consider peak season on fall foliage

Picking the peak day for foliage is very tricky. Those of live here might not even get to see peak every year. For my money in the Bennington County area [southwestern part of the state] peak happens on October 13th. [that's my birthday]

But really let start with the fact that Vermont is a small state, and you can really drive from end to other in about 4 hours. So where ever you stay you can see all the beauty. Also leaves don't turn from green to yellow to red. The color is depended on the type of tree. The perfect view is place where the mix is green, yellow, orange and red.

If you have trouble finding a place to stay in Vermont [we really do fill up early] a little trick is go over the border. I don't know why but up state New York does not fill up like Vermont does.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is consider peak season on fall foliage

The peak foliage color intensity and dates varies year to year. It also varies with elevation & north/south: higher terrain & northern areas peak several weeks earlier than lower & southern areas.

Color doesn't shift from yellow to red. Certain trees turn yellow, others orange or red.

Enjoy!

5. Re: What is consider peak season on fall foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40