We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Farmer's Market?

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Farmer's Market?

We will be through the majority of the state the first week of October/part of last week of Sept. Which is the best farmer's market in your opinion?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

I really like the ones in Middlebury and Waitsfield.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

I've never been to a farmer's market I didn't enjoy, but the one in Brattleboro on Saturdays is fantastic and the vibe is very connected to the community there. I also enjoy the one in Bennington on Saturdays but Brattleboro's is bigger.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

Kind of depends what you're looking for --

Burlington has a big one and it has a great diversity of goods to purchase. From organic beets to local art.

The Stowe market is really nice -- but more of an artisan's market than a farmer's market.

Craftsbury and Hardwick have great organic foods but the markets are smaller.

I always enjoyed the St. Johnsbury market a lot -- for no specific reason -- it is just alway fun to be there.

It's hard to find a bad farmers market in VT -- though some are awfully small ...

You can find them all here:

vermontagriculture.com/buylocal/buy/farmersm…

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

The Montpelier farmer's market is excellent. It almost has the feel of an urban outdoor market (but it's in a little town). It's often very crowded -- a good mix of local veggies, prepared foods and art. There is usually some music too.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

That's quite late in the season, so there will probably be the best variety of things in the southern part of the state. Up around the Burlington, Stowe & Montpelier lattitudes the season is past for the vast majority of local stuff.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

Lots of root vegis to be had at that time of year not to mention local meats, eggs, breads etc.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

True, but it's pumpkin season (ie: the end of pretty much everything) so there's more variety in the south. :)

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

Burlington stands out in terms of the diversity of crafts, prepared foods (a great way to have a delicious and interesting lunch), as well as lots of meat and dairy products in addition to produce and flowers. Lots of info here:

http://www.burlingtonfarmersmarket.org/

If you go to the Products section of the website, under Fruits & Veggies there is a calendar showing what is in season at different times of year.

The potential downside is that you are in a sort of large city, which is atypical of Vermont, and the city is Burlington, which is atypical as well. I like it, but it might not appeal to someone looking for an authentic Vermont experience. Also, City Hall Park, where the Market is held, is the chosen outpost of Occupy Burlington's ongoing protests. So that may also add or detract as well.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

Thanks everyone!! Added these all to my list :)

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Farmer's Market?

I had to laugh Big_Foof - we frequent the Madison, WI farmer's market which has been claimed to be the best in the US and you can't find more ongoing protests and Occupy Everything than there ;)