We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

I am really looking forward to my first trip to Vermont in early September. Nights 8-9 are the VT portion.

I enjoy beautiful scenery, museums, quaint towns. I know this itinerary is quicker than most people would like, but I like a fairly fast pace. A few questions... I after spending the night in Burlington, I was going to head down 100 thru Waitsfield, Grafton. But I was wondering if 125 is worthwile... and would you recommend ethan allen highway instead of 100?

1) Philadelphia ( Philadelphia Museum of Art, Independence Hall)

2)New Haven, CT (Florence Griswold Museum)

3)Newport, RI (historic center, mansions)

4)Portland, ME (strawberry bank-portsmouth NH)

5)Bar Harbor (Lulu Lobster, Arcardia)

6)Bar Harbor

7)North Conway, NH (Mt Washington Auto Rd, Sabbaday Falls,)

8)Burlington,VT (Kancamagus Hwy, Cannon Mountain Aerial Tram, Hotel: Handys Extended Stay in Colchester or Hartwell House, Church Street Market, Shelburne Museum)

9)Bennington, VT ( Rt 100 or Ethan Allen Hwy, Mad River Glass Gallery, Warren, Grafton, Hancock Shaker Village? Or,, scenic drive 125/middlebury? , Clark Institute, Norman Rockwell Museum, Hotel: Harwood Hill Motel)

10)Kent, CT (MASS MoCA , Naumkeag house , Kent Falls, Bulls’ Bridge)

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

That's not a "fast" pace, that's an insane travel schedule by most standards. You will not have time in much of that itinerary to visit any museums or other points of interest, because you'll spend all day driving. If you really love to drive all day, though, you've picked a great itinerary.

Rt. 125 is wonderful. I've lived here all my life, and I've never heard of the "Ethan Allen Highway", so I googled it, and discovered you mean Rt. 7. In a word, no, Rt. 7 is not worthwhile, but 125 and 100 are great choices.

Good luck with your trip.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

I have to agree with SOTT regarding your pace. Unless you are planning to drive at night,and just drive past the museums, and even then actually, this does not sound doable to me. If you add up your driving times and look at the hours of daylight and the opening hours of the some of the places you want to visit, you may have to use the Star Trek transporter for your mode of transportation.

But to each his own of course, so I will say that the Harwood Hill Motel in Bennington is a nice small family-owned clean place. Some rooms have a lovely view of Mt. Anthony, but not all. Right next door is the Publyk House Restaurant and Tavern and if the weather is nice have dinner out on their deck overlooking the Monument and Mt. Anthony.

Feel free to pass along specific questions and we will try our best to answer them.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

Enjoy your travels......of the entire trip the following are my favorite:

Acadia National Park in Maine.....been there at least 30+ times.....THE BEST!

Rte 100 in VT from top to bottom is New England at its best for quintessential village life.........go slow and enjoy it.

Dan

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

Thanks it looks like rt 100 was the better choice.

I was using google maps to figure driving times.. I wonder if those are pretty accurate for the most part it shows 2 - 4 hours per day. Leaving time for some museums and other scenic stops. Are those times too optimistic?

I was interested in doing one new england tram to the top of a mountain, and one historic village. Cannon Mountain Aerial Tram was the one I ended up picking Strawberry Banke. Are those good choices?

I also have 1 more night to add somewhere. Suggestions?

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

1 more night: stay an additional night at Philadelphia, Acadia, or Burlington.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
596 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

Keep in mind if you are driving the I-95 corridor on a Friday late afternoon or Sunday afternoon headed in or out of Maine you could face a lot of traffic. Your itinerary is very fast paced. Google maps is usually pretty accurate with drive times. Burlington to Bennington could take all day if you don't drive Route 7 But the other highway choices would be more scenic and longer.

Rt 7 however would allow you to visit Middlebury and it's cute town and beautiful College and Manchester with the Hildene Museum and shopping. Good luck. Have fun.

7. Re: New England Road Trip --- Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:15