We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington?

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Vermont in October but we can't decide on West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington. When I did my initial research, I was planning for Burlington; however, there are currently Groupons for West Dover and Proctorsville so we were thinking about getting those.

Mainly, we want to see the foliage and enjoy the outdoors, but also do some shopping and dining.

We are coming from the D.C. area so long car rides while we are in VT are OK but not preferable. We like to bike/walk/hike so those would probably be our preferred methods of travel once in VT.

We are open to museums, wineries, horseback riding, and pretty much anything else.

Does anyone have any good insight on where we should go based on the above information?

Thanks!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington?

I would doubt that those groupon deals apply to October, unless it is for the last week. Check on that first...availability during the dates you want. October is the busiest month of the year, many lodgings fill up months in advance.

Burlington is a city, though small. It is lovely, on Lake Champlain, and easy to access lots of other great parts of VT. West Dover is a small town in the southern part of the state, near some ski mountains and lots of small towns within easy reach. Gorgeous views, hiking and biking to be had in both parts of the state.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,756 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington?

Depends what you want to do. Burlington is much larger (50k people) and offers more dining, art, pubs, shopping, etc. There's a great rec path along Lake Champlain, nice waterfront area, several small museums & performing arts centers.

Dover (1.4k people) and the surrounding area includes several small towns and is in a much more rural mountainous setting. It's been years since I was Mt. Snow, but it's safe to say that the facilities will be more limited there, though the rural setting is quite pretty.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington?

I'd love to offer advice, but so much depends upon when n Oct you are coming....if it is early oct, the color is still god in the Burlington area.....if it is after the first week, then you are better off in the south-central area of the state.

4. Re: West Dover/Proctorsville or Burlington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:16