We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England in october

galston
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
New England in october

Were coming over from the uk & 1st time in the area. We will fly in to Boston (which we've stated before so will miss this trip) & drive north. Where are the must see places? We will be staying 8 or 9 days so is akso driving south to rhode island/cape cod an option? What are the average temp at that time of year & can we expect sunshine?

Thanks

ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England in october

I have similar questions. We are coming from Montreal. Where to stay and what to see in Vermont ?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England in october

Go to the things to do pages and also get the big glossy official guide to VT and also NH. With no other info, that is best way to start. You can also search must do here because that has generically been answered thousands of times

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England in october

Evening Calair 9 & KSLG,

I hope you are thinking of booking your lodging pronto. I co-own an inn in Woodstock VT and we are already 65% booked from September 27th - October 19th....so get your journey organised quickly. Do NOT try and wing it for accommodation as you visiting during the busiest weeks of the year.

Temperature can be anything usually from 15oC - 28oC...but you should bring a rain jacket as you may get a shower. Usually the days are warm and the nights cool.

Woodstock VT ( for there are others around New England) must be on your itinerary and I would urge you to try and cover less miles and spend more time by staying in fewer places. You could do Rhode Island and Cape Cod but you will spend many hours in the car and really will not get the true feel of Vermont.

Once you have a more general idea of why./where and exact dates give me a shout and if you do visit the Woodstock area I'll happily come up with more idea.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New England in october

hi, we are also visiting the area and could do with some advice. We will be arriving in Boston on 5th October and want to see the foilage and any other sights you can recommend. We only have 4 days and would like to use public transport (trains) if possible but if not we will hire a car. Is train transport possible and if not what route would you reccommend to drive?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England in october

If your goal is to see foliage colors, train travel from Boston is impractical, especially if you only have 4 days. A bus tour could be a better option, but again, your 4-day time frame isn't ideal.

Hiring a car will be the only practical way, but your very short time here will make it difficult to find accommodations, since many require 2-night minimum stays. That's the peak tourist season in New England.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New England in october

Thanks for your quick response. Sorry, we are there for 4 nights, which is 5 days and can possibly stay for one extra. Is there somewhere you can suggest which is not too far to travel by car?

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England in october

Afternoon Keban64,

To give you an idea...Woodstock VT is about 2.5 hours from Boston and it is a very east drive....we are not talking the A1 on a bank holiday Monday here....even in the fall! You could get to the White Mountain in NH in about 3.5 hours as north/south interstates are direct...the issue that takes time is going east/west.

You will see more and have much greater flexibility by hiring a car as public transport in the US is very poor as compared to the UK....but do BOOK NOW where you want to stay now or you will probably face staying 50 miles outside of Boston and having to drive back and forth everyday....which is a waste of your precious time.

If you book one location for 2/3 nights you can then drive from a central point, will not meet any short stay restrictions at that time of year, and Woodstock is ideally situated as you can get to either end of Vermont in about 2 hours, the White Mountain in NH in about 2.5 and also have some great scenic drives. Check out the village website www.woodstockvt.com.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New England in october

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I have just booked 2 nights in Lincoln which I hope will be a base for us to see some beautiful sights and Woodstock will be on our list of must see places.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England in october

Well when you come to Woodstock pop in and say hello, and a packet of custard creams would be most welcome....in exchange you'll get some home made fruit cake! Just look for the yellow inn located on the western edge of Woodstock village.

10. Re: New England in october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:15