We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

Hi all,

Looks like i'll get a chance to be in NEK (Lyndon) only on the weekend of 5-Oct. Primary interest is fall foliage hotspots and drives around that region. I'm definitely going to do a day trip to Stowe. For the 2nd day, are there any towns, hotspots or drives say within 50-70 miles of Lyndon that I can explore with my family. We wont mind extending a 3rd day if there's some really good foliage to see during that weekend.

Thank you v. much

DC

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

"...are there any towns, hotspots or drives say within 50-70 miles of Lyndon that I can explore with my family..."

The answer is yes. However, knowing which ones will be at optimal color when you are here is best determined that weekend, predicting now is fairly pointless.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

thanks. maybe need to wait and follow the foliage reports. I wont be able to get holidays before 05-Oct so that's my only chance. Was not sure whether it's too late for NEK and if I should try and move my reservations a little more towards central vermont instead.

Newport, Vermont
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

Hi there - there are some driving tours and trips that are outlined on their travel website travelthekingdom.com. Have a fun trip!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

Thanks, this will be very helpful. I'm still curious though, do you think weekend of 5th Oct is too late to tour the NEK for fall foliage because there seems to be indications it will be past peak by then.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

I think foliage should be great around that time. The NEK is one of the latest areas, particularly as you head up to the northeastern border area. That weekend is also the Stowe Foliage Arts Festival. I recommend paying St. Johnsbury a visit. The visitors center is in the train station. Check out the Athenaeum and Fairbanks Museum.

http://www.stjathenaeum.org/

http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/

And if you love dogs, definitely go to Dog Mountain.

http://www.dogmt.com/

On Saturday morning, pay the farmers market a visit too for a good cup of coffee and a snack.

From Lyndon, a drive north on route 5 to 5A will take you on a scenic drive through Willoughby forest to Lake Willoughby which seems like it was gouged out of the adjacent mountains (well, it was by a glacier). Some nice hikes nearby, if you are so inclined, that provide great views of the Lake and beyond. I have driven around 114 and that is a scenic drive through forests with some good hikes that are easily accessible.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

so much depends on winds, rain, temperature, elevation that it is very difficult to predict. also, peak foliage is not 100% color but most trees have some color. It really is crazy because it is just a lovely a little before peak as it is a little past. Now, barren trees are not the most attractive, however you should be fine. Even if you are staying in NEK, there are no rules against driving further south. :)

check out this link and don't stress

jeff-foliage.com/2011/…

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

Oh gosh, I meant to say the NEK is among the early areas, not the latest areas. But you will be there around the time that is generally near-peak, peak, or slightly after-peak. As neslaw1 correctly points out, there is a bigger sweetspot than "peak" suggests. I have not read anything about conditions this year suggesting a particularly premature foliage season.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

cool..thanks for your tip.

9. Re: weekend of 5th Oct in Northeast Kingdom?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 10:17