We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

Hi

We are coming over from the UK shortly and need some info on the chances of problems with mozzies and other biting critters in October.

My wife gets targeted by biting insects so could the locals in VT and NHl tell me what the situation will be like in VT and NH in the first 2 weeks of October?

We want to come prepared if necessary!!

Thanks

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

There are nearly zero biting insects this time of year. Maybe a few around swampy areas or in/near the woods at dusk, but they should be minimal if any. Various flying bugs are very pesky in spring/summer, but just about all of them are done with their life cycle and gone by mid-August. No worries. Of course, you can bring some bug repellent or buy some here if/when needed. Enjoy your visit!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

Evening HGEE,

Chris & Liz have summed it up...we are not talking about Highland midges here! Should your 'tasty' wife get the odd nibble which in October is very unlikely there are numerous lotions and potions similar to the UK so you can always buy locally.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

Like your wife I am always the target of mozzies and biting flies but I just returned from 2 weeks in VT, even hiking, not one bite :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

My wife is very relieved to hear the news!

thanks to all who replied

5. Re: biting insects in VT NH ME - I have to ask!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:16