We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apples ?

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apples ?

Vermonters -- how are the apples in your area? Here in Lamoille County, it's been a horrible apple year and I'd really like to get a good lot of cider apples.

In past years, I've been able to harvest tons from roadside trees ... but no hope of that in this area. I'm willing to travel a bit to get some. I'm not looking for a commercial orchard .... looking for drops that would otherwise go to waste.

Thanks.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apples ?

I can't help you with that but I do know you can buy drops cheap from a couple orchards in my neck of the woods.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Apples ?

Good to know, vter. Do you have the names of any orchards that sell drops cheap?

Hows the color in Addison Co? Near peak around here. It's gorgeous.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apples ?

Happy Valley in Middlebury does and I'm pretty sure Boyer's in Monkton does. I would call ahead.

Color is gorgeous in the highlands like Starksboro, Lincoln, Ripton. Down here in the valley were still are early but the colors that are coming out are gonna be good!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apples ?

Tough year for apples all over these parts, not just Lamoille County.

The very warm, early spring caused flowering to start early, and then a late May frost stunted growth significantly.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apples ?

Here in the southwest it varies by orchard. We picked up some delish Macouns (my favorite for eating) at Propagation Peace Orchard in Shaftsbury last weekend. But our apple trees are bare and so are those in a nearby orchard, just about 5 miles south of the orchard I mentioned. It's completely hit or miss.

Crazy bright foliage down here, but there is still lots of green that needs to change color.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apples ?

We restating for2 nite's in Goshen next mon n ties, can someone recommend any leisure easy hikes n where to go . Host informed us that by our arrival the leaves may have all fallen due to extreme weather of late. So which regions can we go to. 1st time leaf peepers n would be very sad if we can't view stunning views. Any off the beaten path as seems hoarders of people will al b in the same area.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apples ?

Btw does anyone know if we could take maple syrup on the plane. Iris liquid and I think it can't be taken as carry on. Airlines charges 25$ for check in so I'm not sure if its worth the surcharge for 1 can/bottle. Any thoughts?

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apples ?

Maple syrup is a liquid and is subject to the same rules as other liquids. You could find a couple of small carry-on size bottles and put them in your zip loc bag. Hard to know how much it's worth! We call it liquid gold....

I can't understand from your post when you will be in VT, but unless it's not for a couple of weeks, you'll be able to find lovely views and foliage by driving short distances. I would not worry about it.

Please don't stop in the road to leaf peep! Pull off the road first to be safe.

9. Re: Apples ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:17