We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in the off season

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in the off season

Hello,

My husband and I and our almost 2 year old daughter are staying at Smuggler's Notch Resort in mid November. I know this is the off season, we just really wanted a week away. I've looked at some different things to do in the area and we'll probably head in to Burlington of a day, do some shopping at the Essex Outlets, and maybe go to Ben and Jerry's for the tour. We don't want to over plan, but if anyone has some suggestions for activites, both inside and outside, that are toddler friendly, we'd appreaciate it!

1. Re: Things to do in the off season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 14:05
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in the off season

Since you are coming in mid-November, be aware that the road from Smuggler's Notch to Stowe (Rt. 108) may be closed for the season, depending on the date you are coming, and weather conditions. If that's the case, you have a circuitous 45 minutes+ drive around the mountain to get to Stowe.

If you do go to Burlington, you might take your toddler to the VT Teddy Bear Factory to see bears get made. It's not my favorite place, but a 2 year old might find it interesting for a few minutes. Echo Center is indeed great, though I wonder if its attractions might be a little old for a 2 year old. I'm honestly not certain I know the answer to that question.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in the off season

I was just at ECHO today and my 3 almost 4 year old was really into it. I think a 2 yo would like looking at the fish, turtles, frogs etc and playing the water table. Other than that most of the stuff is older.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in the off season

Good comment SignOTT. My only caution about VT Teddybear is that's a long drive. Unless the little miss is a good car traveller, the ~1 hour each way via Burlington could be a chore for a rather minor destination. Good idea... just a caution. :)

Star - Do a couple of searches on 'best things to do burlington', or 'best activies with toddlers' and you'll get a few more suggestions. I personally like Echo, the waterfron rec path (if the weather's good), and checking out the various shops and eateries along Church St. in Burlington for folks of most any age.

There's also a nice rec path a few miles from Smuggs in Jefferesonville, along the Lamoile River. Nice for a family walk. Enjoy your visit!

conn
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in the off season

Look into a visit to Vermont Teddy Bear factory, south of Burlington on route 7.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in the off season

I was going to suggest the Montshire Museum and King Arthur Flour store in Norwich, but I see it's an hour + away from Smuggs. If you are in that area, don't miss them!

Also, please be aware that hunting season begins two Saturdays before Thanksgiving, perhaps on the 10th this year. Just don't go traipsing into un-posted woods in dark/neutral clothing and you will be fine!

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in the off season

Thanks for all the suggestions! We'll definitely check out Echo and depending on how she is with driving maybe the Vermont Teddy Bear factory.

I know this would vary from year to year, but when does Route 108 usually close for the season?

8. Re: Things to do in the off season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:19