We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe v. Killington v. ???

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Stowe v. Killington v. ???

I do not ski, but my husband enjoys it and I want to take him for his birthday in early February. Convenience for him on and off the slopes is most important (mostly Black Diamond slopes). Driving to/from the slopes is not an option. I would prefer ski-on, ski-off but a short walk is okay.

Meanwhile, because I do not ski, I still need something to do - shopping, hiking, bicycling, restaurants, etc. I do not want to drive either, although I suppose I could if I have to. I'm trying to avoid renting a car.

I was thinking Stowe Mountain Lodge but WOW that place is expensive - but very convenient to the slopes. From what I can tell, most of the fun for me in Stowe would be in the village - so I would have to drive (which I am trying to avoid). I also looked into Killington, but it seems that most of the easy-access lodging is far away from the shopping and restaurants.

Any help would be very appreciated. I am particularly interested in Vermont but could change it up to Colorado if there is a place there which would meet my needs.

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

Stowe is much nicer for the non-skiier.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

Because of the village, we always went to Stratton. Plenty of skiing for me and enough to do for my wife who does not ski. Not a huge village but was also close to Manchester for other things to do like visit Hildene.

Lots of ski in/out opportunities.

The absolute best of all worlds is Tremblant on the east coast.

None of this will compare to Utah (Park City) or Colorado or Lake Tahoe either for apres ski or plain old ski.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

I agree...Stowe is your best bet. Stowe Mountain Lodge is not the only game in town though. Tons of other choices, those SML is slopeside.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

I would suggest Vail CO, it's expensive but you have Vail village to keep you busy and no car necessary. The skiing is great.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

I agree...Vail is the place for you. Incredible skiing and fabulous shopping. A few years ago, there was a shuttle bus to Beaver Creek which also boosts good shopping.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

You guys are awesome - I truly appreciate the help.

Killington, Vermont
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

I live in Killington and depending on what you want to do together is also a big part of the decision making. For the non-skier there is shopping in the area but there is also the Long Trail Brewery Visitor Center in Bridgewater (8 miles) which makes a great Apres-Ski stop and then their isscenic Woodstock, VT just about 20 miles away with great shopping and restaurants. (It is what most people "picture" as the typical Vermont town with covered bridges, etc. The Simon Pearce Restaurant and Glassblowing Studio is in Quechee and is an amazing stop. As for Killington, it really is the most varied terrain in the east and for nightlife it is consistently rated #1 by major Ski publications. The Birch Ridge Inn is a great B&B for couples with a fantastic restaurant right there but that is a drive to the slopes. The Killington Grand Hotel would be your best bet and while it is not cheap, it is less expensive than the SML.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

So what did you decide?

9. Re: Stowe v. Killington v. ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 10:15