We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Vacation

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Vacation

Hi,

I'm starting to plan our vacation for this fall. Our dates are open and we'll probably spend 10-14 days. We want to see the fall foliage, covered bridges and anything else you all recommend. We'd like to visit several NE states as well as Niagara Falls. I know you can't be sure on the timing of the leaves...but what would be your best guess? What are the must sees in Vermont? It's just me and my husband. We like hiking, local arts/crafts, music....

thanks!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Vacation

CherylSanJose_CA....Welcome to VT and New England...you'll have a wonderful time. This is truly the best time to visit and it is also the busiest.

Timing: Last week of September and first week of Oct is as close to assured perfection as it comes. The leaves will change first in western Maine and move south through NH and and Northern Vt over that two week period. The color will change in the higher elevations first and move toward the valleys last. Although I expect peak color in VT toward the middle to end of the first week of Oct.....that could change. Believe it or not, we had two falls last season.....one during the regular two week peak as noted above.....and later in the month of Oct....more color change.

Must see in VT: Southern VT covered bridges, The Vermont Country Store in Weston, walk the many trials of Southern VT Green Mountains, Shelberne Museum just south of Burlington, bike the many gravel roads, do the arts trail starting at VTICA, Vermont Institute of Contemporary Arts in Chester, visit the many artisan cheese makers, the longest covered bridge in the USA in Windsor...aaahhhh the list goes on . Check out www.vermontvacation.com

MUST see in NH: Mt Washington and the presidential range in the white mountains, the Kancamagus highway en route to VT.

MUST see in Maine: Rte 201 to "The Forks" along the river valley, Portland Headlight in S. Portland, Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth, LL Bean in Freeport....

Have FUN planning!!!!

Dan

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Vacation

Hi Cheryl - What type of hiking do you like? (ie: distance, degree of difficulty, woods vs. views, etc...)

I'm partial to Stowe for hiking, sightseeing and general fall visiting. Nice town amenities, with a small mountain-town feel.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Vacation

Thanks for your response. For the type of hiking we would like..probably 3 to 4 miles, moderate inclines. Both woods and views.

Cheryl

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Vacation

Dan,

Thanks for your response--especially regarding the timing. I've seen so many comments about the best time to go...I was getting confused. I'm off right now to do research of the arts trail!

Cheryl

5. Re: Fall Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17