We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe in mid-May

Reading...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Stowe in mid-May

Hello,

I'm planning a brief VT getaway for me and husband in early-mid May, and Stowe is on the shortlist- I found some great rates at the Stowe Mountain Lodge.

We're really just looking to relax. We don't ski or golf, so no concern about missing the window on those. Some hiking would be nice, and maybe some exploring of the area (e.g. antique shops, galleries, etc., if there's any of that around Stowe). I also like quirky attractions and museums.

How does that sound for May? Will everything be closed since it's pretty much the off-season? Will be caked in mud? Any suggestions for other destinations in Vermont?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe in mid-May

Early-mid May can go either way. The winter has been mild so far, so it might be nice - 60s & relatively dry. Or we could have a more typical mud season - 50s and muddy on the trails and back roads. There's plenty of hiking around Stowe, as well as a nice rec path. There are also a bunch of artsy shops in the village on Rt. 108, near the intersection w/ Rt. 100.

Burlington (45 min from Stowe) is another nice destination. It's larger and has more restaurants, little galleries, shops, etc... There's another nice rec path there as well, plus the Flynn Theater - a nice place for performing arts.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
475 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe in mid-May

I was there in mid-May last year and not only was the weather beautiful (one day of rain out of a week), but lilacs were in bloom everywhere. I hope you have equally good luck!

Since you like museums, this one is well worth seeing; it reopens for the season on May 12th, if you'll be there then:

http://shelburnemuseum.org/

Edited: 13 March 2013, 05:23
3. Re: Stowe in mid-May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:19