We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albany to Ludlow auto trip

Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Albany to Ludlow auto trip

I am flying into Albany in mid June and heading to Ludlow to meet friends. I want to take a slow drive and overnight somewhere between Bennington and Manchester on route 7A then hit 30 across the Green Mounts the next morning.

I am a FL flat lander and would like any info you would care to share on must sees, food, and possible place to say. I am not interested in the Outlets. I like the one of a kind type eateries and shops. I know there are some beautiful Inns but don't want to spend too much to just stay overnight.

Any input appreciated.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

What time does your flight get into Albany? The reason I ask as it is about an hours drive to Bennington from there. You could easily take your time once you get to Bennington poking around the shops downtown and/or visiting the historic sites in Old Bennington. If you don't like outlets, then avoid Manchester! You would probably like Camelot Village on Route 9 just west of Old Bennington.

As for places to stay, there are plenty of motels in Bennington. The Paradise, Hampton Inn, Best Western, etc. Be sure to have breakfast at the Blue Benn diner. I like Carmody's and Madisons for pub food. The Rattlesnake Cafe is also good.

Hope you have a good trip!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

If you have the time and daylight hours coming into Bennington as vter said you’ll want to check out Camelot Village. I also recommend stops at the Bennington Battle Monument for the views, the Bennington Museum , and the Old First Church and Cemetery [this is where Robert Frost is buried. Parking on Main street in Bennington will offer you unique shopping and dinning. As your heading out of town on Old Route 7 you’ll see a Dairy Bar on your left and a park on your right, if your looking for something sort of kitch here you go. Get a cone at the Dairy Bar and walk over the park which is the Deer Park. They have white tail deer in here which will come right up to the fence, and you should get to see Mommy with her fawns at this time year.

I don’t recommend staying in Bennington for the night. Continue to travel up Old Route 7A into Shaftsbury where you could stop at the Robert Frost Museum, than into Arlington,VT which was home to Norman Rockwell and has a museum and shop dedicated to him. If it is dinner time when you get to Arlington there are several choices for dinner and places to stay. Try eating at Jonathan’s Table for the best prime Rib ever. The Inns in Arlington are quite pricey, but a little bit further up the road you’ll the Sunderland Inn which is next door to several nice little shops. Or you could continue up the road to Manchester.

For shopping Manchester is all out lets, but for diner and lovely places to stay this is your spot. I highly recommend the Aspen Motel. They’ll give you some great idea for dinner, but for breakfast the next morning you can’t miss the Little Rooster Café. Trust me.

When you head over the mountain the next morning, don’t forget to stop in Weston and the Vermont Country Store. Enjoy and welcome.

Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

Thanks so much for your input. My flight arrives at 2 PM and since I did want to spend some time in Bennington I will not have as much time as I like.

How long should it take me to drive from Bennington to Manhester? What time does it get dark in June in that area?

You have given me so many wonderful places to check out I I think this is going to be a wonderful drive. Thanks especially for the dinning suggestions.

I have never spent time in this area of VT. I have mostly spent my time on the east side around Putney and Brattleboro and one trip to Montpelier.

Thanks,

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

It takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes from Bennington to Manchester (locals, correct me if I'm wrong as I usually stop along the way so it takes longer!). Route 7A will take longer than Route 7. 7A is much more intersting.

It gets dark around 8:30ish.

Have a great trip!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

Capriz: It is a 1/2 hour from Bennington to Manchester. I want to give you a piece of advice regarding your drive from Albany to Bennington: As you near the VT border, do not take the new Route 279. Instead stay on NY Route 7 East which turns into VT Route 9 East. This will take you right by Camelot Village, mentioned by earlier posters (only if you like shopping for tsotskies), the fantastic Old First Church w/ Robert Frost's grave, Bennington Museum, and right down onto Main Street.

Since you'll be hitting town around 4 pm, you could see some sights. The Bennington Battle Monument is open till 5pm and would be a great place to start. For a nominal fee you can ride to the top and get a great view of the area along with some history. You could then check out R.F.'s grave and the church, then head into town for dinner. I agree w/ Carmody's for basic fare and the Rattlesnake if you want some northern new age Tex-Mex. Alldays and Onions on Main Street is good too. For places to stay, the Paradise right near the Bennington Museum is fine, as is the Knotty Pine on Northside Dr. and the previous suggestions. Staying in Manchester is going to cost more and you are just going to be surrounded by over-priced "outlets" which I imagine you can find in FL should you desire!

Next morning, as mentioned, hit the Blue Benn Diner for breakfast. Also, the South Street Cafe has great coffee and treats. Then you can hit the rest of the sights in Bennington should you desire and head north. As mentioned Route 7A is more scenic than 7. And if you decide to drive it at night, take 7A since 7 is dark and lonesome.

I also suggest you check out the Vermont Country Store in Weston on your way to Ludlow. It's NOT something you'll find in your neck of the woods! You can check out their website for an idea of what the store is like.

Hope you have a great time. Ludlow is nice and should be totally green right now!

Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

NBPINVt,

Thanks for all the good info and the tip of the route to take into Bennington. I think I have decided to stay in Bennington. Just because of a days travel behind me and I figure I can still take some time and make it to Ludlow before dark on Friday. As I arrive in Albany on Thurs.

It sounds like Camelot Village is high on everyone's list. I am actually headed to Echo Lake Inn for Sat wedding than down to Putney for the rest of the week with friends. We are talking about heading over to to Hamilton Falls near Jamaica later in the week.

So much to see and so little time. It's like I tell my friends when they come to Disney, "You won't see everything, but you'll enjoy what you do see".

It's going to be a great trip!

7. Re: Albany to Ludlow auto trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 04:18