We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Vermont

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Vermont

We are planning on taking a train trip from New York to Montreal and plan to stop along the way. We were hoping for a few magical winter days - NO skiing but maybe dogsledding and enjoying the scenery. It seems our best option would be to hire a car but where to after that ? We prefer to stay in one spot and enjoy the small town feeling and do day trips. Any suggestions ?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

If taking adirondack, looks like options are to get off at Albany and go to southern vt or at Burlington and hit No Vt.

there is a lake in the way of central vt. best chance of snow is Northern Vt. and probably suggest staying in Stowe.

You will need a car. Or you could take the Vermonter but that leaves a drive to Montreal from wherever you get off, which is not that big a deal.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

Agreed - Stowe is my top choice in VT. You can rent cars at/near the Burlington airport. Assuming you're taking Amtrack through VT, the nearest train station is ~5 miles away in Essex Junction, VT. You can call a cab from there, or perhaps Enterprise or other rental companies will pick you up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

I was hoping to avoid the excessive ski resort winter prices. Any other ideas.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

No. You are going to get high season prices throughout the region especially xmas/ New years.How to avoid, think Chinese New year or Rosh Hashanah ( Jewish New year) . Or you can stay out side of the resorts and just pay excessive holiday prices.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

OK thanks for the heads up

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

Call (or email) a few places and get some idea of the prices. My 2 top picks are....

In Burlington: The Hilton

In Stowe: The Golden Eagle

I'm not familiar with any places that do dogsledding. (Though there may be a few... somewhere.) If Stowe is too touristy, there are tons of picturesque smaller towns. Woodstock is another popular spot. Jeffersonville is also nice - though a tiny town with far fewer services.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 03:53
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

I have three questions that I hope someone can help me with. My friend and I will need to get back to New York on 3rd October or 4th October after a Fall Foliage trip with Vermontology than finishes at 6:00 pm on the 3rd October.

Is it better to fly from Burlington to New York or catch the Amtrack Vermonter during the day from Essex Junction to New York, assuming that the route could be picturesque at this time of year(??)

Can you recommend accommodation near the train station or somewhere that will drive us to the station.

Thanks you for your help.

Sorry, don't know how this post got here. I meant to put it on the general forum. How do I move it???

Edited: 30 January 2014, 06:15
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

Don't know how to move posts, but I'll try to answer your questions.

The Amtrak Vermonter from Essex Jct to NYC is a very long trip (I think ~9 hours). Assuming you know that, then yes I'm sure it would be a comfortable, enjoyable trip. I really like riding Amtrak, though 9 hours is pushing it for me when flights are so quick.

Handy Suites in Essex is probably the closest to the Amtrak station http://www.handysuites.com/ , but any hotel in the area is an easy cab ride to the station. You'd have to call to see if any run shuttles. Places like Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Hilton (probably a few more) have shuttles to the airport and might get you to the train station upon request.

The flight to NYC is really easy out of Burlington. The airport here is small and easy to navigate, I find flights to be generally on time absent unusual weather conditions (should be fine in October). Flight time is under an hour.

Note that Amtrak drops you in the middle of Manhattan and flights take you 30-45 minutes from Manhattan (depending on airport), so not sure if that is a factor.

9. Re: New Years Eve in Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 07:18