We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington to Manchester

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
520 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington to Manchester

Mapquest suggests two routes to get from Burlington to Manchester. One is along Route 7. The other is along Route 22A. Both are about the same amount of time. Any suggestions on which would be the nicest drive in terms of scenery or interesting things to see? This would be in May.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington to Manchester

I suggest you take Route 7. You have Middlebury and Brandon as two nice towns to stop along the way ~ Middlebury being larger and having more to offer, but both are nice. The views along Route 7 heading south are gorgeous. Look for Camel's Hump Mountain (so named because it looks like a...) off to the east as you head south from Burlington, and make sure to look back to catch lovely glimpses of Lake Champlain.

Mentioned in this post
Camel's Hump
Camel's Hump
70 Reviews
Montpelier, VT
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Brandon
Brandon
Vermont
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington to Manchester

Thank you! Route 7 is the route that seemed obvious on a map, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something by not taking the other one. (I would do that one and take the ferry if Fort Ticonderga was open for the season, but it won't be at that point.)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington to Manchester

If you are in no hurry then going down to Waterbury and hitting 100 S is a little longer and wonderful views as well as places to stop along the way. You could easily make this whole day trip. all good options

Mentioned in this post
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington to Manchester

If driving down RT 7, stop in Bristol, great little downtown, just outside of Bristol is a terrific falls. Great view and swimming, take jump off the ledges. Further south in Wallingford, stop at Sal's pizza, great food. White Rocks area is also close by, take a short hike to the Ice beds.Side track on RT 30 west in Manchester to visit the Dorset Quarry(about 20 minutes).Oldest quarry in USA, with great swimming, ledge jumping.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
United States
United States
North America
The Dorset Inn
The Dorset Inn
276 Reviews
Dorset, VT
Sal's Pizza
Sal's Pizza
264 Reviews
Wildwood Crest, NJ
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington to Manchester

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will have time to stop along the way so I'll look into these.

6. Re: Burlington to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 07:17