We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

Concord, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

Hello,

This summer we will drive from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod and are looking for a nice, picturesque place to spend a night in Vermont. We are currently considering Bennington, however, would also like to hear your suggestions.

Thank you

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

I am not sure of the route that you are taking. I would guess the NYS Thruway to the Mass Pike, but that will take you considerably south of Vermont. Of course, you could branch off and go to Bennington. I like Bennington, but it is not really what I would call picturesque. The Four Chimney's Inn is very nice.

Arlington is a bit north of Bennington and has some nice inns such as the West Mountain Inn. More of a small town while Bennington is a small city.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

Dorset VT is a very picturesque town that is a bit north of Bennington, in the southwest corner of the state. Or you might consider Woodstock, in the eastern part of the state. Neither are on a direct line from Buffalo to the Cape, but I am assuming that you'd like to meander around a bit and see something besides the interstate. Neither would be that out of the way. (For a picturesque New England Village that's directly en route, you should look into towns in the Berkshires in Massachusetts.)

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

It really depends a lot on how much time you have to spend on the stop-over. As the poster above says a town in the Berkshires makes sense. Stockbridge is lovely. One of the nicest towns in the area and just off the Mass Pike. There is an exit at West Stockbridge.

Concord, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

Excellent tips, thank you very much!

Very helpful information, as we don't mean necessarily in VT, but rather safe, pretty, and not too far from the route.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

Bennington is about 1 1/4 hours from the Lee, MA exit of the Mass Pike (Route 90). There is plenty to see and do in the area if you want to hit VT. But if you are just looking for some New England summer loveliness and want to save time, then I would agree with Stockbridge, MA as a stopover spot.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

From Niagara Falls you could take the thruway (I90) to exit 24 in Albany then I87N, exit 7 to NY7 east, which turns into VT9. That's not too far off the route (adds about 1h15m according to gMaps), puts you through Bennington, Wilmington, and Brattleboro From Brattleboro you'd work your way down to MA2 and take that most of the way into Boston. For a combination of time/off-the-beaten path it's not too bad of a route. You could also cut across the southern part of NH, adds some more time, though.

If could head further north, you start adding more time to the trip but get some more options.

7. Re: VT Stopover on the way from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:18