We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

New York
6 posts
Save Topic
Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

Hi! We are planning a trip to Vt in AUgust, and can't decide where to stay- Shelburne/Brulington area or Stowe. We planon visiting Shelburne Museum and Farm, Vt Teddy Bear, Ben and Jerrys, Cabot Cheese, Granite Quarry, and would like a quiet place with outdoor space, and would prefer an inn type atmosphere rather than a big hotel. Three of us- myself, husband and teenage daughter. ANy suggestions?

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

I prefer Stowe

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

Based on what you are looking for, Stowe would offer you more many more options. Burlington is a small bustling city with hotels. Shelburne is mostly chain motels along Route 7 with the exception of the Inn at Shelburne Farms (which sounds like what you are looking for).

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

If you don't mind going a little farther north, you can stay in North Hero, which is about 40 minutes from Burlington/Shelburne. It's quite beautiful and quieter than Burlington. We used to go there when our kids were little. Check out these North Hero lakefront inns:

http://www.shoreacres.com/

http://www.northherohouse.com/

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

My top pick in Stowe is the Golden Eagle. It's a very nice spread-out, low-key motel with walking trails and 2 nice pools (1 indoor, 1 outdoor) on the property. Very quiet, moderately priced, lots of outdoor space, and convenient to Stowe''s attractions.

Burlington is more convenient to Shelburne & VT Teddy Bear, but I'd suggest Stowe if quiet and lots of outdoor space are a priority.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 20:37
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

If you do choose Burlington, the Willard Street Inn is an alternative to the hotel option, although either the Hilton or the Marriott are great hotels with awesome lake views and perfect locations for being in Burlington. Personally, I'd stay in Burlington as it is a great City to explore on foot in the summer. Between the waterfront and Church Street you can spend an entire day walking around with a ton of great restaurant options. Stowe is very crowded in the summer and you'll be hopping in your car to go anywhere.

6. Re: Deciding on location to stay in Northern Vt- Shelburne/Stowe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:16