We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yet another travel/base question....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
366 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
yet another travel/base question....

We are spending 4 nights the middle of June in vermont and need to make our overnight reservations. As nothing seems to be more than a few hour drive we thought it best to spend 2 nights north and 2 south rather than having to pack up to move around. We will be flying in/out of Manchester NH with late morning arrival and early evening departure so we figure that we should save the longer airport drive for our last day. Looking to stay in smaller areas as we hope to do some hiking, cheese and beer exploring, maybe some bike and kayaking. Not really all that interested in shopping or "big" cities. Any suggestions of where to make our home for each of the 2 night stints? I have been lurking on the Vermont forum, but having a difficult time with making the final decision!

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
The Vermont Inn
The Vermont Inn
231 Reviews
Mendon, VT
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yet another travel/base question....

Our biggest 'city' is Burlington, with a population of ~60,000. So just about anyplace will have some degree of small town feel. Stowe and Woodstock are 2 typical favorites. Burlington offers the most re: restaurants, pubs, and stuff to do. Stowe is next, and has lots of hiking nearby. Woodstock is smallest, also with nearby hiking.

BTV and Stowe both have excellent rec paths for biking. BTV is best for kayaking on Lake Champlain. Waterbury and Green River reservoirs are great for flat water paddling.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yet another travel/base question....

Why don't you tell us what you are considering. There are so many places to stay and all would meet your desires or be close.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yet another travel/base question....

I think you would be pretty happy in the Waterbury - Waitsfield - Warren area. Lots of great hiking around Sugarbush (Mt. Ellen and Lincoln Peak), a Camel's Hump trailhead just down the road, as well as an easy drive over to Stowe for hiking Mansfield and in the Smuggler's Notch area. Don't forget to stop by the Alchemist to try their Heady Topper. http://www.alchemistbeer.com/find-us/ If you make it into Burlington for a day, you can rent kayaks at North Beach. http://www.enjoyburlington.com/northbeach.cfm

Mentioned in this post
Camel's Hump
Camel's Hump
70 Reviews
Montpelier, VT
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
90 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
Warren
Warren
Vermont
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
366 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yet another travel/base question....

Thanks!

Neslaw: I had been looking at Woodstock as one of the choices, but then realizes that maybe we should move south from there a bit for one of the legs.

So...after reading the response from Adamtravler and AdamandLiz I am thinking that our northern stay will be in the Warren or Waterbury area but still open to suggestions south!

We live in the Chicago suburbs so New England is completely foreign to us so I am sure driving from point A to point B will be very enjoyable!

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
New England
New England
United States
The Warren Lodge
The Warren Lodge
167 Reviews
Warren, VT
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yet another travel/base question....

Personally, I'd choose Stowe over Waterbury hands-down. Not familiar with Warren - it's tiny though (pop: ~1700), so lodging and food choices might be a bit limited. Beautiful area though (unlike Waterbury IMHO, which is more of a way point on Rt. 2.)

Just my 2 cents. No wrong answers - most any town will have plusses.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
Warren
Warren
Vermont
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yet another travel/base question....

Manchester larger and more commercial but many lodging choices. Any other town in area well be more quaint but fewer choices. Check out Grafton or dorset just for kicks but there are no wrong answers. If first trip choose woodstock and visit Stowe.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Grafton Inn
Grafton Inn
359 Reviews
Grafton, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yet another travel/base question....

My issue with Stowe is that it is very busy in the summer, and often it seems like you are in a bumper to bumper line of cars to get anywhere. Also, most of the accommodations I know of, are somewhat inflated pricewise just by virtue of the Stowe address. It wasn't always like this, but the last 10 years or so it has changed, in my view, to cater to the high-end folks. The Mad River Valley is close by, but much quieter, with a lot of little hidden gems. Waterbury, in my opinion, is actually a good centrally located "base" with a few really good restaurants and shops for your basic amenities. Here's one option right in the village: http://www.oldstagecoach.com/

Then, if you want to get outside of the village a bit, this place is beautiful: http://www.theroundbarn.com/ My good friend got married there 2 years ago and it was a wonderful location.

True, though, no wrong answers at all.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 13:00
Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Waterbury
Waterbury
Vermont
The Stowe Inn
The Stowe Inn
443 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yet another travel/base question....

My only comment about Woodstock VT is that it is easy to get to everywhere in the State from it, within about 2 hours.....It is a great location and has the best village centre in the State...and yup I am biased!

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
366 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yet another travel/base question....

After considering the above responses, and taking a closer look at a map I think we are going to spend 2 nights in the woodstock area and then 2 in the mad river valley area. Even though woodstock is not considered the southern part of the state, the things we are interested in doing/exploring aren't more than an hour drive and it seems a shame to miss out staying in such a cute town.

Thanks for all the help (and quick replies!).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
366 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yet another travel/base question....

On second thought, and after lurking for the past 2 weeks on the travel forum we are now wondering if Mad River Valley might not be far enought away from our first leg in Woodstock; might not be as far north as we want to base ourselves. So...might spend a day in that area as we travel from Woodstock to our second base a bit further north.....more in the Mt. Mansfield area......any thoughts suggestions regarding Jeffersonville or around that area. We will want to do something near Lake Champlain, but not stay in Burlington as that is a bit more crowded than what we had in mind.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Mansfield
Mount Mansfield
703 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Woodstock
Woodstock