We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

Newcastle upon...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

HI, planning a tour of New England in September and pretty much well planned. Only problem we have is the journey from Burlington to Newport (RI), guess we're going to need a 1 night stop on the way looking to do 200 miles each leg, so looking to stop in Stockbridge area? From there we can head down to the Connecticut coast and along to Newport.....so any ideas on a good route and nice places to stop i.e. Town and Accommodation? Any help much appreciated

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

You must be talking about going down Route 7 in Vermont to Stockbridge, MA and then over to Newport? It looks like this adds quite a bit onto the trip over some other routes. I-89 to I-93 is quite a bit shorter, though, you might be prone to hit traffic depending on when you do it. You could also do I-89 to I-91 to I-90 and avoid Boston. Looks easily doable in a day if you have the whole day to get there.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

You said Scenic...that means rt 100 south through the green mountains into Mass. After that you'll have to work your way over toward Hartford and from there rt 2 gets pretty close to newport. Once you are out of the Berkshires, I can't say when it goes from scenic to tedious.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

If you want to stay in Stockbridge, MA I recommend the Red Lion Inn.

http://www.redlioninn.com/

There are many inns and B&Bs in the area.

http://berkshires.org/

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

Rt. 100 is superb indeed. I-89 is also very pretty, with a commanding view of our rolling mountains and a few towns.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

In agreement with the previous comments. Your choices are to do it in one day, pretty easy though do avoid the greater Boston area, or to either take Route 7 south straight down to Stockbridge, or take Route 100 to Wilmington, VT and then take Route 9 West to Route 7 South to Stockbridge.

Newcastle upon...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

Thanks to all, for taking the time to reply, plenty good advice. We're actually doing a circular from Boston - Maine (Portland) - New Hampshire (Franconia) - VT (Burlington) before finishing back in Boston via Newport & Cape Cod so we're looking to stop one night after Burlington taking in some scenery on the way to Newport rather than just getting there as quick as possible. Looks like RT 100 is favourite Thanks for all the help so far.

Look out for more questions later especially on Burlington as we're spending 3 days (Labor weekend) there......Once again thanks

Edited: 22 May 2013, 12:49
Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

I'd actually go with Route 7. It's quite beautiful. And it's more direct than Rt. 100. Rt. 100 is winding and slow. You'll see Middlebury, a good stretch of the Green Mountain Forest and Bennington. All really sweet and gorgeous places. And you'll get some amazing views of the open farm land in Addison County and Lake Champlain.

Rt 100 does not go through Burlington. You'd have to go down to Waterbury to get on it. You can get on Rt. 7 right in Burlington.

But both are gorgeous drives.

Newcastle upon...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

Thanks Truman, RT 7 was our 1st thought now we're totally undecided thanks to all the helpful advice. I just wish we could stay longer and 'do' both:-)

9. Re: Best Route (Scenic) from Burlington to Stockbridge (MA) area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 07:17