We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Vacation in Vermont

Ciincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
July Vacation in Vermont

My husband and I are planning a vacation to Vermont in mid-July. I like art galleries, restaurants nearby and little shops and we both like visiting historical places such as museums. I have seen that the maritime museum is a good place to see. My husband is one for fishing, canoeing. I like to walk - but not go on a strenuous hike through the woods. I am very happy to sit by the water and read while he fishes. So you can see my dilemma. Also wondered about taking a trip to Boston while in the area. We have been to Maine twice and loved it. Spent every day driving and stopping in little towns. Suggestions? Also, what is the best city to fly into?

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

I'm thinking that you may want to look at Middlebury,VT, or maybe Vergennes,VT. Both of these towns place you near all the things you listed [except of course the trip to Boston].

I would recommend flying into Burlington,VT if you stay in the northern part of the state. It's really the only airport in Vermont. Please keep in mind that Vermont is a tiny state and you can day trip pretty much the whole place.

Mentioned in this post
Vergennes
Vergennes
Vermont
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

Burlington fits most all the things you've mentioned. Good local art and music, supeb walking on the rec path along the lake, plenty of fishing in the lake and nearby rivers. Agree with the above post that if you want to see the northern half of VT, Burlington is the best place to fly into. Albany NY and Manchester NH are 1 others 3 and 2 hours away respectively. Personally, I'd fly into BTV and stay there for a few days.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 01:14
Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

You are a little late for a lake front rental for July, but if you can find one I think you'd enjoy it. I'd look in Addison, which would be near the maritime museum. Also, look in the Islands (South Hero, Grand Isle, North Hero). The Lake has great fishing and provides a wonderful place to relax.

Mentioned in this post
Ciincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Due to waiting so late to get this trip planned, we are flying into Manchester, New Hampshire. A couple of questions: Do we need to make reservations in advance to take one of the train rides I've seen mentioned (one through the mountains and the other through the river valley)? Also, I definitely want to make it to the Trapp Family Lodge for dinner - do we need reservations in advance for this also? Also, are there any special places to eat on Lake Champlain?

Edited: 29 June 2013, 13:03
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Trapp Family Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
1,430 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

Where are you staying?

Yes, I would make reservations for dinner at Trapp Family Lodge. Do you plan to stay there? It's a bit of a drive up there without much else around, so you may want to consider staying there.

There are many places to eat on Lake Champlain. Again, where are you staying? I can recommend Shore Acres as a special place to me, as we try to go there by boat at least once a summer to eat. Exceptional food. http://www.shoreacres.com/

The North Hero House is also pretty outstanding. http://www.northherohouse.com/

Mentioned in this post
Trapp Family Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
1,430 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
North Hero House
North Hero House
285 Reviews
North Hero, VT
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

I think the Trapp Family Lodge is definitely worth a visit, as the mountain views are wonderful. Reservations are a good idea. They have both a formal dining room and a more casual lounge, both of which serve dinner; the menus are online in case you'd like to see whether you prefer one or the other. You can also get lunch in the lounge or Sunday brunch in the dining room if those better fit your schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Trapp Family Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
1,430 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Ciincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

We are staying in White River Junction at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites. A friend of mine stayed there before and said it is a great hotel and good location. I think their Trip Advisor rating is something like 97%. We got the King 2 room suite like she suggested. I think we will try to do lunch or dinner there. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions! The restaurant on the lake sounds particularly awesome!

Edited: 07 July 2013, 12:27
Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
190 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

If you are staying in WRJ, I highly recommend a ride over to the Simon Pierce shop in Quechee to check out the glass blowing and have lunch. Then ride along the senic river to Woodstock. The Rockefeller mansion there has an old carriage road that goes out back to a small pond. The hike is relatively flat on a wide dirt road, but beautifully shaded in the woods. Woodstock is a lovely town to just poke around in the shops and galleries.

WRJ is a very quiet as far as places to eat and things to do, but with Quechee and Woodstock nearby, you can find some things locally, plus be right off the highway for grander adventures. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Quechee
Quechee
Hartford, VT
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Ciincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

That all sounds so awesome! I can't wait to get there and start enjoying everything Vermont has to offer! Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
10. Re: July Vacation in Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:16