We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
326 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

My Husband and I are planning an anniversary trip Mid-September for 7 nights. First time in the New England area. There seems to be too much to see and not enough days. We want to move no more than 2-3 times during the 7 days. I can't narrow down where I want to go. We are not hikers, but love the beauty of the coast and mountains, as well as nice romantic dinners. My original plan was to start in Boston, through the Berkshires, Vermont, White Mountain, Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport and fly home from Portland. I now realize this is a 2 week plan. I don't know what to eliminate. Or should I just try to fly into Vermont and do the Vermont/New Hampshire area and call it a day? Any suggestions from experience would be appreciated.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

I think you just have to choose. Not many bad choices. If flying into Boston, then Boston, somewhere between Portsmouth and Portland, and white mountains is great week without too much driving between places.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

Agreed. Your destinations are all good, but indeed that's a solid 2 week tour. The best itinerary really depends on what's most important for you. Seacoast = Maine. Mountains = NH's presidentials for rugged peaks and waterfalls, or VT's Green Mtns for rolling peaceful countryside. Bar Harbor is great, but it's a long drive frrom NH or VT. What kind of things do you most want to do & see (and for how long)?

Edited: 18 July 2013, 03:22
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
326 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

I am not completely sold on flying into Boston - I just thought it was a good starting point, not being at all familiar with this coast/part of the country. The more I research I think maybe Portland/Burlington/ Manchester might be a better option. I would like both Mtns, and coast, or water. Maybe a couple of days each, with a day of city (flying in or out). Would I be better served looking into the lakes of New York instead of coastal Maine?

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

Stick to mountains or coast...not both in 7 days. You will have far more enjoyment in two trips with less travelling. Make it easier and cheaper for yourself by sticking to the same arrival/return airport and this no one way car hire.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

Boston is a great city - lots of excellent museums, historic sites, food, etc.. etc. You could easily spend 4-5 days there.

Personally, I like the idea of splitting a week between mtns & coast, since it's fun to get a taste of 2 different locales that the east coast offers. I'd opt for something like flying into Burlington... stay there or go to nearby Stowe or Woodstock for ~2-3 nights. Then drive thru the presidential mtns en route to the Maione coast. Stay in Portland, or a nice little town like Camden for ~3 nights. Then fly out of Portland, or drive back to BTV for your last night.

Flights & car rental will indeed be more expensive flying in/out of different airports, as David mentioned.

Drive times from Burlington, VT to:

Stowe or Woodstock: 1 hr

Manchester, NH: 2. hrs

Boston: 3.5 hrs

Presidential Mtns in NH (Gorham, Jefferson, or Bethlehem..): 2 hrs

Seacoast of Maine (closest, like Old Orchard Beach): 4 hrs

Bar Harbor: 7.5-8 hrs

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
326 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

Chris & Liz, Thanks so much for the drive times. Burlington makes more sense than Manchester.

Maybe we should save Boston for a trip in the summer when we can see Cape Cod and Marthas Vineyard. I need to do more research and then I am sure I will come back to all the experts for input!!

You all are the best!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

Good plan - save Boston, Cape Cod & Matha's Vineyard for a separate trip. Those places with dovetail well and they're all relatively close together.

8. Re: Realistic Fall Trip - Need Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:19