We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Trip Help

Niagara Falls...
2 posts
Save Topic
New England Trip Help

Looking for some help on finishing up a week vacation to New England area... We (active couple in mid 30's that like to see/do things as well as just relax and enjoy the surroundings/people) are going to be arriving on August 16th here is what I have booked so far... We were in Boston last year so not really keen on heading back there. Never been anywhere else in the New England area. We are ok with driving about 3-4 hours to get to our next destination.

Friday- arrive late afternoon, stay in Killington

Saturday- stay in Killington

Sunday- stay in Killington (going to Barre to race my mountain bike at Millspond- thinking about a trip to Burlington or Stowe while we are sorta in that area?)

Monday- ?

Tuesday- ?

Wednesday- Rose Island Lighthouse, RI

Thursday- ?

Friday- ?

Saturday head back home (via Syracuse)

The only other thing that I have on tap is Storr, CT for zip line place...

A little bit about us... We will be bringing our bikes with us, enjoy craft beer, good food, and the local greasy spoon for the best breakfast in town! Pretty much open to anything that would provide us with a great New England experience... Typically on our summer vacation we just pack up the car and go without too many reservations and just go with the "flow" of how things go. However, with the impression that I have of the New England area I don't think that it woudl be as easy to find a nice place to stay every couple of nights the same as it is in more Urban areas.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Trip Help

I'd spend at least one night in Burlington. Your guys' interests and age group will fit right in with the local scene. Very big craft beer town, good local music scene, lots outdoorsy types and outdoorsy stuff to do, farmer's market, lake, beaches, biking....

Definitely don't stay in Barre--it's not much of a town. It's only about 30 minutes via I-89 to Burlington from Barre.

Not sure how you're getting to Killington, but you may pass near Bromley where there's a zip line. …bromley.com/attractions/…sun-mountain-flyer

Niagara Falls...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Trip Help

Our journey starts in Niagara Falls, ON (well not exactly but close enough to home)...

I had Burlington on my list of places to visit... I wasnt sure if that was because it seems that is where the crowd goes... I dont like to take the heard approach and just follow what everyone else does when the visit places.

We are not going to stay in Barre, I'm just going to go and race my bike there for a few hours and then most likely continue on to Stowe to check it out.

I have booked 3 nights at the Killington Ski Resort (F/S/S)...

I was/am thinking that we should venture north to Burlington for M/T... any suggestions as to where to stay? Wednesday we head to stay in the Lighthouse near Newport RI... just need to figure out the tail end of the vacation T/F... RI?CT... Hartford??

:)

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Trip Help

Yes, the tourists do come to Burlington, and I'm with you on not following the beaten path. But it's no Boston or New York. It's really a neat town. I hear from many people who tour around New England that it was their favorite stop. It's got a great vibe to it, but of course I'm bias because I've lived here all my life!

As for a place to stay in Burlington, I highly recommend to anyone who can afford it to stay at the Hilton or Marriott in downtown. That way, you park your car and the lake/waterfront and downtown are steps from your door. To save some money, there are a number of hotels within a couple miles of downtown--look in South Burlington along Williston Road (Holiday Inn, Best Western, Doubletree, La Quinta).

If anything, you will feel more tourist-phobic in Stowe than in Burlington. Some will disagree, but I find Stowe to be a nightmare in the summer as it is bumper to bumper tourists throughout. It's as if the whole place only exists for the purpose of tourists. In contrast, Burlington is a real, authentic place.

In contrast to Stowe, I recommend heading south from I-89/Barre on Route 100 through the Mad River Valley. Waitsfield and Warren have some very nice Inns & B&Bs, small pubs, and a real Vermont feel. In fact, if your ultimate destination is south, I'd recommend going all the way down Route 100 as you will pass through some very nice areas of VT.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,886 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Trip Help

Agreed - Burlington would fit the bill. For relaxed biking, there's a superb rec path along the lake, which connects to the Colchester causeway - super spectacular views from that of the Green Mtns east & Adirondaks west.

For hotels, the Hilton, Marriott and the new Vermont hotel (forgot the name) nearby are all well-located. They're the only hotels right downtown - an easy few block walk to pubs, restaurants, local music, shops, etc... (And great western views of the lake and sunsets too.)

Edited: 02 August 2013, 21:50
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Trip Help

The new hotel is The Hotel Vermont. You were close chris! ;)

6. Re: New England Trip Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:18