We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 nights in Vermont

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
9 nights in Vermont

We will have 8 full days Oct 9-16 staying in a farm in Central Vermont and would like suggestions on itinerary. Breakfast is served and dinner also at 6pm each day. Our plan is to day trips to see as much as possible in all of Vermont and most of New Hampshire as well. We would like to drive the Rangeley Lakes scenic byways in Maine and wonder if we can do this in a day if we leave real early and still comes back to dinner at Rochester at 6pm. There are a lot of places to see and I have gathered a lot of information including from TripAdvisor sometime ago. Now I think that may be I am too aggressive and try to see too many places even though we do have 8 full days. The four of us are all active retirees and would like to enjoy our drive in a rental Jeep Cherokee, stop anywhere worthwhile to sightsee, walk around a bit, do some easy hiking trails if possible, have a great lunch and take time for some nice photo opportunity. Both of the ladies also like to cook and bake abd wonder if there is anything in the region that thet should stop by and see, may be even attend a cooking class. Now I would like to hear from some of you about how to realistically plan a 8 day itinerary on this trip. Thanks so much.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
396 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

I haven't visited here because cooking isn't something I particularly enjoy but it might appeal to you:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/visit/

And yes, one of the joys of vacationing in Vermont is the RELAXING atmosphere. So don't push too hard, so that you can really enjoy each place you visit without feeling pressured.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

You're looking at 4-5 hours one way from Rochester, VT to the Rangeley Lakes Maine. Definitely not a daytrip (at least not for me). The thing about VT/NH/ME is that it's often not easy to get from Point A to Point B, especially on the East-West routes which tend to meander all over the place. Many areas of New Hampshire and Maine will just not be doable in a day trip.

If you go to google maps, you can start at Rochester and plug in various points of interest to get an idea of whether it's reachable in a day trip.

You might enjoy the Shelburne Museum http://shelburnemuseum.org/ and Shelburne Farms http://www.shelburnefarms.org/ which also has a winery nearby http://shelburnevineyard.com/

If you want to splurge, there are cooking classes at the Essex which are highly recommended. Most are in the evening, but there are some offerings in the afternoon. essexresortspa.com/cooking-classes-vermont-e…

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Thanks so much

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Evening SD to Seattle,

King Arthur is a MUST as it has a newly built baking centre and shop (do pre-book a class as they get very booked up) you could also stop for lunch in Norwich at the Norwich Inn which is the best gastropub in the area and brews beer it only sells on it's own premises. Next door is another must see store - Dan & Wits which is a wonderful local small village store. You can combine all this with your day out in Woodstock.

I'm sure I mentioned Sandy's books and cafe in Rochester to you in another post,

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Agreed, Rangely is a haul to do in 1 day. Not relaxing. In NH, Franconia Notch has some nice spots to sightsee, hike & take photos. Same for Crawford Notch, along Rt. 302.

Burlington, Stowe & Woodstock, VT are 3 top picks. Montpelier isn't usually one of my suggestions, but perhaps the New England Culinary Institute there has some seminars or classes.

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Do appreciate the response.

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Another question: Any suggestion for easy short scenic walks as well as great places for lunch in Vermont for us active seniors can enjoy in our 8 days in Vermont. Thanks

Edited: 11 August 2013, 20:34
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,762 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Yes! The rec path in Stowe is superb. ~5 miles of easy paved walking, criscrossing the brook on nice little bridges, with great views of the neighboring mtns. Also in Stowe, the toll road up Mt. Mansfield (our tallest) is wonderfully scenic, and there's easy walking on the ridge trail at the top, with spectacular western views of the Adirondaks and Lake Champlain.

Burlington also has an excellet rec path - along the lake, with stunning sunsets over the Adirondaks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

In case you were wondering, there is a southern VT. Weston, Manchester, Arlington, bennington, are all worth visiting. Views from MT Equinox, Hildene, Rockwell museum in Arlington, etc. Should not have any trouble finding stuff to do.

Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 nights in Vermont

Yes, we are aware of S VT. Thanks. I have mapped out all the major as well as the less crowded routes on just about the whole VT. So after we arrive in Rochester at central Vermont on 10/8, and depends on how the foliage plays out, we can then decide which route/area to visit first. Since the farm we are staying do provides breakfast and dinner at 6pm each day so in general, we will probably leave Rochester at 8-9am and come back before 6pm. I have break down more or less the 8 daily trips we will take as follows:

The Stowe Jeffersonville Burlington and Shelburne Farm Route

The Montpelier (mainly for Sunday Brunch at the New England Culinary Institute) Barre route 110, 113 route

The Woodstock Windsor Tyson Pittsfield South Strafford Norwich route

The Rochester Brandon Ft Ticonderoga Middlebury Hancock route

The Weston Chester Grafton Newfane Jamaica Peru route and the rote from Manchester Arlington Mt Equinox Bennington

The route from Brattleboro Bennington Williamstown Turners Fall ( the Mohawk Trails in Mass) and back to Brattleboro route

The route to NE of Vermont northeast of St Johnsbury to as far as it takes us on route 14 5A 114 and perhaps to 105 102 d 2 as well

Then there is the Kancamgus 112 and the scenic 302

Are this reasonable day trips? Are NE Vermont, NH and Massachusetts doable as a day trip (leave early if needed)?

After this we will do a long drive to Bar Harbor fir 2 nights, 1 night at Brunswich and 1 night at Kittery before flying back to San Diego from Manchester.

This may not be a good question to ask, but I read that we should do a day trip from Bar Harbor to Lubec and Campobello Island as the three most rewarding region in Maine coastline are Cobscook Bay, Mt Desert Island and the peninsulas and islands between Bucksport and Stonington. If so, I want to cut short one day in Vermont and spend one extra day in Bar Harbor. Please give your thought!

Thanks