We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall colors : NY to Vermont

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fall colors : NY to Vermont

Hello- We have one week 9/13-9/21 and were interested in spending a couple of days in NY and then traveling through New England to see some fall colors. Any suggestions on the best areas to see if we have a rental car and just a week's time? We would also love some small New England fishing towns and enjoy hiking. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall colors : NY to Vermont

You are early for color. Maybe if the leaves are turning really early this year, you will see some color at the very end of your week, if you get far enough north and up to elevation. A few years back, my mother in law was visiting the last week of September and we saw some decent color going over Smuggler's Notch (Route 108) from Jeffersonville to Stowe, but that was somewhere in the mid to late-20s of September.

Small New England fishing towns? The Maine coast, north of Portland, has some small authentic fishing towns, but that is a long, long drive from NY. I don't think you want to try and get up that way with only a week's time, but it is a really great area if you did have the time. Boothbay Harbor is a really neat town. There are real operating fishing communities around Boston (Gloucester), but these aren't quite the "small New England fishing town" that I think you are envisioning.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
New England
New England
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall colors : NY to Vermont

Burlington & Stowe (and vicinities) will be good places then. Check past posts for info on restaurants, pubs, activites, etc.... in both towns.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
3. Re: Fall colors : NY to Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:20