We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

I've always wanted to do this roadtrip, and could please anyone tell me when is the best time for it? I heard the scenery in fall is absolutely beautiful, and thus I'm wondering if Thanksgiving could be a good time?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Hi Peng: Sorry, but Thanksgiving is about at least a month too late for fall foliage. Many of us think that Vermont is beautiful in every season, but if you are looking for fall foliage, you would need to plan on the first two weeks of October. Some years it is earlier, some later, and the third week of October is often spectacular as well. Since you are new to TA, I will also advise you that booking lodging well in advance is very helpful, often necessary, for the month of October. Look through the forum and you will see lots of discussions about foliage.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

VT is very pretty in ~late May thru mid-Oct. It's also generally scenic in the winter ~Dec-early March. Prime foliage season is late Sept thru early/mid-Oct, depending on where in the state you're visiting.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Being from LA might be a little scary, but I like driving in the winter time. Get to see all the landscape that is covered by leaves. Seeing fresh snow (that someone else has to deal with) and not having to plow or shovel it always appeals to me

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Best foliage most traffic highest lodging rates.

I love NE any time except mud season in the Spring. Just going by tourism summer is as popular if not more than winter. Suggest that best if when you can visit.

Level Contributor
20 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

We just finished a fabulous trip to far west. Now we are beginning to plan a trip to NE. We are thinking hitting upstate NY, Vermont, NH, Maine then to Montreal. Tentatively, thinking late March/April but fully flexible. (1 M, 3F retired 62-66). Any thoughts on timing, must sees, etc

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Jay

Is this a week long trip or are you using the full 2 months mentioned? You are hitting the end of winter and beginning of mud season so ski resorts are beginning to close (mid April) and everyone is taking a vacation to get mentally prepared for the summer onslaught of visitors. You need to figure out your must sees as this question gets asked all the time and you have not given us anything to go on. The things to do pages have loads of stuff. The official visitor guides for all these states have fantastic information. Read some of the trip reports. It would be absolutely legitimate to suggest both Niagara Falls and Acadia as must sees but you would be nuts to actually try to see both over the course of a week.

So, I am absolutely trying to help you by making you make some decisions and then we can help you focus. You should be prepared for snowy, wet, mushy (and perfectly clear) driving conditions especialy since you seem to be concentrating on the northern regions.

Level Contributor
20 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Thnx! We may wait a month or so...dont want snow/mud. We will probably have two weeks.

Montclair, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

Was just wondering if u did the trip around thanksgiving finally or not ? I want to do it around thanksgiving. Just not sure if its a good idea or not. i understand I ll miss the fall foliage but I just don't have vacation around that time so I can only do thanksgiving.

9. Re: Best time to do Vermont Roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:15