We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

We're planning to visit Cabot, Ben & Jerry's & Cold Hollow, and drive along Rt 100 from Boston next weekend (October 12-13). This is our first time visiting VT, and we're hoping to see some nice foliage.

1. For the north bound trip, should we go through I-91 via Hanover to Cabot, or should we take I-89 via Montpelier to Cabot? Which route is more scenic?

2. For the south bound (return) trip, we'll go through Stowe, Waterbury, and drive along Rt 100. Is it worth it to detour and check out Rt 17 or Rt 73 (this is the so-called Gap Road, right?)?

3. Should we drive through Rt 73 and connect to Rt 7 & Rt 4 to Woodstock?

Or is it better to stick with Rt 100 and then Rt 107 & Rt 12 to Woodstock?

4. Will the aforementioned highways/routes congested during this time of year? How serious? (want to estimate travel time)

Thank you for your kind help!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

The higher elevations will be past peak and may be bare next weekend. We are expecting high winds today which do not bode well for the leaves!

I would stick to Route 100 as generally this is lower elevation, though I've driven 100 this past week from Killington to Stowe and colors were at peak.

There will be traffic - especially near Ben & Jerry's. It took some friends an hour to get from one end of Waterbury to the other this past Saturday.

The Scenes of Vermont foliage forum is a great resource - spotters out driving around every day posting updates, pictures etc.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

To answer a couple of your other questions.

I'd take I-91 - this follows the Connecticut River valley and is at lower elevation than 89 so you have a better chance of seeing good color.

Either route to Woodstock would be fine. 107 to 12 you might see less traffic. Route 4 will be busy.

Expect traffic in Stowe, Waterbury, Waitsfield/Warren and Woodstock.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 14:54
Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

Thank you so much for the tips! We'll take I-91 via Hanover, to Cabot, Stowe, Waterbury, and southbound via Rt 100 to Waitsfield, via Rt 107 & Rt 12 to Woodstock.

We attempt to do this as a day trip. Plan to leave Boston 6ish in the morning. Hopefully we can reach Woodstock around 6pm so we can still see something. (We did the White Mountain loop as a day trip last year.)

Really look forward to this trip, even the foliage might not be as pretty as last week. =)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

For your southbound (return) trip, I would recommend taking Route 100 all the way south to Route 4, at which point you can take that road east to Woodstock and Quechee. Route 100 is a gorgeous drive, and passes through several small villages, including Pittsfield (home of the Amee Farm Lodge (http://www.ameefarm.com/) and the Original General Store). I hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

Thanks for sharing!

1. I assume that driving all the way of Route 100 + Route 4 will be easier than Route 107+ Route 12? (less winding and higher speed limit?)

2. Along Route 100, we'll pass by a number of towns: Middlesex, Moretown, Waitsfield, Warren, Granville, Stockbridge, Pittsfield, Woodstock, Quechee. We can probably stop shortly at three or four of them, and drive by the others. Any preference?

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

I'm considering an alternative route to see better foliage: replace Route 100 for Lake Champlain Valley area

Northbound: from Hanover take I-91 + Route 25 + I-89 to Waterbury through Burlington (skip Cabot & Stowe)

Southbound (return): from Burlington along Route 7 to Shelburne, Charlotte, Ferrisburgh, Vergennes, Addison, Middlebury, then connect to Route 4 back to Boston (assume that taking Route 7 and 4 is easier than Route 125 across the mountain)

1. Will we miss much to skip Cabot and Stowe?

2. Is Lake Champlain Valley area much more scenic and colorful than Route 100?

3. We plan to do it in one day. Will we still expect lots of traffic on Saturday night on our way back along Route 7 + Route 4? (I assume that most visitors will spend a couple of nights in the area considering it's a long weekend?)

I'm trying to keep the total mileage under 470 in one day.....and try to maximize our trip to Vermont...

Thank you!

7. Re: From Boston, I-91 or I-89? Gap Rd worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:17