We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

I'm trying to plan a cycling route and have never been on this stretch of road so just want to make sure it's suitable for a road cyclist.

Anyone have any comments re; shoulder size, car traffic and speed ect? Would you consider it safe/comfortable for a cyclist?

For what it's worth, In Southern Vermont I have cycled all of rt. 9, rt. 7a from Bennington to Manchester, and rt. 30 from near Bromley to Dummerston before and found those stretches of road okay.....just to give you and idea of what I'd be comfortable with.

I would be doing it this Sunday. I'm kind of hoping with Sunday being a quiet day generally and from what I hear foliage past peak it might be okay for a cyclist.

Thank you,

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

I have cycled all of Rt. 100 from Wilmington to Waitsfield, and back. It's all pretty nice. Some big hills. But it's been many years so I can't remember where most of them are, although I do remember that near Killington is a killer. If you only go to East Jamaica, I don't think you'll hit big hills. If you find Rt. 9 ok, I think you'll be happy with Rt. 100. I think there is less traffic on 100. Post after you ride and let us know what you think. Might even see you. We're bringing bikes and staying in Poultney this weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Thanks you, bonnielf. Sounds like a go to me. I'll try and remember to post my impressions next week.

From what I gather there's one big hill on that stretch of 100, that being Mt. Snow. Not sure but that's what I heard.

By the way if you're into tough climbs check out Lincoln gap sometime if you haven't already. It's as brutal as it gets. If you do go there be sure you have plenty of low gearing.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Route 100 is a popular cycling route from top to bottom. http://100-200.org/

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Thank you Adam. That link was helpful. I didn't some googling too and suprised I didn't find that.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

I rode in a support van the whole length of the ride many years back when a family member completed it. Enjoy your ride!

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Support van? What are you doing this Sunday?

Just kidding. In reality a support van isn't my style at all.

Thanks.....I'm looking forward to enjoying it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Just got back from this ride. That section of rt 100 was amazing for a cyclist. The climb up Mt. Snow (not literally to the top, rt. 100 goes by it) is pretty tough but the reward for doing it is some of the most fun cycling I've ever done. The down hill from Mt. Snow to E Jamaica is great.

I would not recommend this section of road to a 'casual' cyclist but for someone who trains fairly hard and has experience with this type terrain definitely check it out.

As for the rest of the ride: First, going up Hogback at 7am into a cold 20 mph headwind the day after riding 96 miles with friends who challenged me had me about crying and thinking I was crazy (haven't ruled that out). Then when I got to the top of Hogback and saw what looked like snow storm clowds over by Bennington coming my way I figured I was screwed. Nope, once I got to Wilmington and turned up 100 somehow my legs started working and the sky mostly clear up. Stopped for a snack in Jamiaca at a place called D & K Grocery then cruised back down to my car along rt. 30 (another really nice stretch of road).

Great ride. Thanks for the tips on 100 that helped me decide to do this route.

Mentioned in this post
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Sounds great! Almost time to pack up the bike for the season I imagine.

Boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Thanks for the update, Ogie. Took me a while to remember to look, but appreciated finding it. Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Adam, it's not ever time to pack up the bike, but my husband & I do ride MUCH less once we have local snow. Local defined as closer than 3 hours away. Went for a good MTB ride on Saturday. I will admit to being too cold yesterday (low 20s & fierce wind) to want to stay outside for much. Gotta remember how to dress for winter :-)

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycling rt. 100 North from Wilmington to E. Jamaica

Well, I guess if winter riding is your thing, bonnielf. I can't really see the fun in pedaling down a road like Route 100 at this time of year, but hey, more power to you if you do. For me, this is the worst time of year because my summer activities are done, but the skiing is not yet in full swing.