We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Snow

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Snow

Hi,

Thinking of going to Mt.Snow with 2 kids ( 6 & 3). My 6 year old skis well and last year we went to Tremblant. How would Mt. Snow compare?

Also I would like to stay slope side, any recommendations?

Should I mention that we are going on presidents week

Thanks

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Snow

Tremblant has a far superior base village area compared to Mt. Snow (and any other mountain in Vermont really). I love Tremblant for that.

Mt. Snow offers the typical hotel and condos around the base area but not much else if I recall correctly. The mountain is smaller than Tremblant but would have more than enough terrain for your young kids.

If you are aiming for southern Vermont, you might find that Stratton offers a mountain that is more similar to Tremblant in size and amenities at the base area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Snow

Thank you

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Snow

You got it exactly right!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Snow

What about ski school for kids, partially I made the drive to Canada last year because they have excellent ski school. My daughter was able to advance in only 3 days from beginner to intermediate.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Snow

My kids learned at Stratton but their instructors are probably retired by now. I am sure the school is still excellent. But no reason to think that Snows isn't.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Snow

Smuggler's Notch probably has the best reputation in Vermont for its ski instruction programs and they have a wide variety of options from group to private, full day, half day, etc. for all ages including your 3 year old. http://www.smuggs.com/ No personal experience in the programs, but I have observed the programs while skiing there and they appear to have good, attentive instructors and engaged kids. They also have good slopeside accommodations around the Morse base area which is the beginner mountain. May be worth checking it out.

That said, for most young kids, once they get a basic level of comfort on the snow, they really do not need much instruction, they just need to put their skis on and go. My 4 year old has never had a lesson aside from my pointers, and he does great on the mountain. So, personally, we would not go out of our way for a ski school program (since we like to ski together), but if I were looking for a ski school program, Smuggs would probably be on my short list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Snow

Thank you I will check that out

port republic
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Snow

When my son was about 6 we put him in ski school at Snow, group lesson. He was markedly better than the others in the group so he wound up with a private lesson all day.

we still tend to go to stratton more often than not, they have been running some good deals for multi day tickets in advance, but presidents week will be full price holiday rates

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Snow

Pupsik, I work as an instructor for Peaks Resorts (the owners of Mount Snow) at their ski hill in Paoli, IN. Never been to Mount Snow so I can't speak for them specifically. But with regard to your 3-year-old the biggest issue is simply going to be does she have the leg strength necessary to get into and hold a wedge. I've taught a lot of 3-year olds, and it really varies from child to child what they can and cannot do. Your older daughter's experience is very typical for her age, but younger than 4 it is just impossible to predict until you get them out there. She will definitely need a private lesson at that age. Or you can just play with her on your own if you know how to ski yourself. It depends on your goals for her and her own desire.

A $10 pair of edgy-wedgies is probably all she needs to have some fun on the bunny slope. And I've seen parents have some good success using a ski harness with their kids as long as it wasn't icy out. If she takes to it and wants to really work at getting better, then sign her up for a lesson. I taught my grandkids when they were 3 & 4 and they picked it up pretty quick, but that extra year made a difference between really skiing with quality turns and just bombing the hill with a controlled stop at the end.

The good news is that generally if a person doesn't give up we are able to teach anyone to ski -- though, as I mentioned above, one does have to have minimum leg strength which not all young children have. Our common practice at our resort is not to leave people just because the hour is up, but make sure that they have learned enough to be safe on the hill even if it takes throwing in a second lesson for free. Whether that's the policy at Mount Snow I don't know, but that's general, though unofficial, practice (not policy) at all the other Peak Resorts I've taught at.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 06:08
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Snow

Thank you very much for your responces.