We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

long beach, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

a one day drive, anything my wife and i should know? places to stop, maybe a covered bridge or anything cool. its our 25th in october.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

If you take 7 up (hey, how about that) shoot off near Manchester, VT then over 11 to Rt 100 and thru the villages. Oct 25 is kinda late in the peeping season. They'll be opportunities to stop. 100 goes up thru Ben & Jerry Land and into Stowe.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

that is going to be a really long day as Route 7 is only a highway here and there in brief stretches and the rest of the ride is on local roads. Bennington, VT has at least 5 covered bridges and a museum dedicated to them: www.benningtoncenterforthearts.org/vtCBM/.

Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

Any reason why you're taking Route 7 up through? If it's for the scenic drive, then it's a good choice. If you'd prefer to just get to your location and then drive from there to look at the Vermont scenery, then I highly suggest taking I84/91/89. It'll be alot quicker and easier to navigate. Route 7 won't bring you right to Stowe, you'll need to change Routes at some point. Route 7 goes up the west side of the state and Stowe is in the central part.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

If you’re looking for foliage you may be a little late by the 25th of October, but in the low country there are still sites. Although the other posters are correct about you having to leave Route 7 to get to Stowe, The foliage color up through the Champlain valley where 7 runs into Burlington [where you can pick up I-89] should still be pleasing. It is going to be a long drive, but sometime the trip is better than the destination.

When you enter Vermont on Route 7 you’ll be in Pownal,VT, than comes Bennington. A side trip up to Old Bennington and ride up in the Bennington Battle Monument is a lovely way to really get first look at Vermont. As you drive north your next town is Shaftsbury where you could stop and see the Robert Frost Museum. After this you’ll head into Arlington, Sunderland and the Battenkill Valley, than come Manchester,VT. In Arlington if you are feeling up to a side trip there are several covered bridges, and in Manchester ask someone to show you how to get to Burr & Burton Academy [take the next left after the Equinox Hotel]. The views from this school are more than other stopping the car for.

If you have the time stop in Shelburne for the Shelburne Museum. Oh and before you get that far there is the Folk Life Museum in Middlebury,VT. And on your left just after leaving Brandon [I believe] you wont want to miss the giant ape holding a gold VW bug over its head.

…state.vt.us/HistoricSites/…bennington3.html

http://www.frostfriends.org/stonehouse.html

shelburnemuseum.org/whats_on/for_families.php

www.vermontfolklifecenter.org/index.htm

conn
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

Just north of Danbury on rt 7 in Kent you come to Bull Bridge a nice covered bridge just off the road (look for the sign) small water fall and a very impresisve river gorge also nice hikeing on the AT. towards the north side of Kent is Kent Falls SP right on rt7 very nice falls have been featured in many ads and TV programs. Rt 7 is a very nice thourge slow drive.

6. Re: driving from Danbury,ct to Stowe,vt on rt.7.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 07:24