We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good base or bases in Vermont

Noosaville...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Good base or bases in Vermont

Hello we are two Aussies, 60 and 61, planning to spend two weeks driving from Burlington through Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine before travelling to Boston. Can anyone suggest a good base or bases in Vermont to explore this state? We are thinking we may only get to the northern and perhaps central parts before heading across to New Hampshire and then to the Maine coastline. Our main goal is to see the fall foliage and some of the covered bridges and small towns. We will be starting around the 17th September.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chester, Vermont...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

Welcome Aussies!!….you are starting out in Burlington, a perfect location for that time of the month. Plan a few days on the waterfront of Vermonts largest and most beautiful city, visit the Selburne museum, VT Teddy bear factory, Ben & Jerry's Ice cream and Greenmountain roasters. Travel south east to NH and drive or climb Mt Washington from rt 16….or do the cog railway….when you get to maine, be sure to visit Acadia National Park….Maines jewel….! Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

The 3 top picks are Burlington, Stowe & Woodstock. All nice home bases. Get your hotel reservations early, since foliage season is our most popular time and places book up early.

For activities, some favs are: Mt. Mansfield toll road in Stowe. Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise on Lake Champlain.

Acadia is indeed a gem. It's a haul though.... ~7-8 hours' drive from Burlington.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Mount Mansfield
Mount Mansfield
704 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Spirit of Ethan Allen
Spirit of Ethan Allen
542 Reviews
Burlington, VT
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Noosaville...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

Thank you very much for your replies and your suggestions and advice. Much appreciated. We have the hire car for about 12-13 days, probably collecting it in either Plattsburgh after a train trip from Montreal or Burlington after a bus trip from Montreal. Still not sure which option to take yet. After a bit more research I am thinking stopping in Stowe for three nights (or one if the three maybe in Burlington) then on to Franconia area for three nights, then over to the coast, possibly stopping in Camden and then on to Bar Harbor before heading back south to Portland or Boston where we will drop the car. Our last 5 nights in the US will be in NYC. I do note that we probably need to book accommodation in advance as it is a popular season for travelling through New England. I would be grateful for any comments you may make on this road trip itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

Sounds like a good itinerary. You may find hotels have 2-3 night minimum stay requirements, especially on the weekends. Since BTV is only ~45 min from Stowe, there's probably no need to uproot and stay there for a night. It's an easy drive.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

Sounds like a great trip. I agree that you don't need to split time between Stowe and Burlington. I'd stay in one place and visit the other via day trip. Personally, I'd stay in downtown Burlington as there is a lot to do right outside your hotel door. You can see the beauty of Stowe and Mt. Mansfield area in one day easily.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Mount Mansfield
Mount Mansfield
704 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

Agreed. Stowe is a very nice little town, but offers only perhaps 1/3 of what Burlington has for dining, pubs, art, music, performing arts, etc... Stowe does offer much more outdoor stuff like hiking, and mountain scenery.... so it depends on what preferences are for the visit.

Me - I'm a Burlington fan too (since we live nearby)... tho we've spent many a weekend in Stowe in past years! :)

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
7. Re: Good base or bases in Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:19