We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock or Stowe

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Woodstock or Stowe

Hi all

We are coming to Vermont as part of a New England Tour in October.Unfortunately we can only stay for 2 nights,so I would be grateful if anyone could advise if we should stay in Stowe or Woodstock.I am finding it difficult to sift through all the information out there,and would be grateful for personal recommendations.

Thanks Eve

Spirit of Ethan Allen
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Backroad Discovery Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Queen City Ghostwalk
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

Evening EveGlos,

OK I'm very biased as we choose to move to Woodstock from Blighty in 2005 and buy our inn, and really preferred Woodstock to Stowe, but where are you coming from and going onto? That should influence where you stay....

Answer that and I'm sure Chris & Liz will be giving a big shout out for Stowe.....so you should get some good ideas...

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

Hi-we are coming from Jackson and after our stay in Vermont,we are he adding to Cape Cod.Would it be feasible to visit Stowe whilst staying at Woodstock,or would it be better to visit en route?

We enjoy compact pretty places with small shops and galleries. Here in the UK we live in the Cotswolds with its' lovely,picturesque villages and that's what we would like to replicate in VT!(I am sure it will be beautiful!)

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

Morning EveGlis,

Well as you love the Cotswolds it has to be Woodstock as the village and area will remind you of where you live. You could take a long drive from Jackson (good place to stay) via Stowe and then end up in Woodstock. Stowe has beautiful views but Woodstock is a much prettier compact village.

Take route 302 west towards St Johnsbury and then go along route 15 to Stowe and then head down route 100S to Woodstock. It's a great drive and will take about 4 hours....and unlike the Cotswolds....traffic is not an issue even in October!

The have a day driving/walking around the middle of Vermont and going further down route 100S and when you're ready to go to the Cape hit I89 south and go via I93 and Boston....and it'll take you about 4 hours depending where you are staying on the Cape.

Driving here really is easy and petrol cost's about 50p a litre! If need more ideas etc....just holla

Enjoy a pint in the pub for me...great way to spend and Easter Sunday.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

Hi David

Consider it drunk! Woodstock it is- is it do-able to drive to Stowe from Jackson on the Kama Highway or would it be better to drive the Highway as a stand alone trip?

Thanks for any advice- much appreciated

Eve

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

Both are lovely towns. Stowe is a bit bigger and offers more to see/eat/do, but Woodstock is smaller and more charming. David is an excellent resource for info there - kudos!

Re: Stowe.... There are some superb small galleries and interesting artsy shops on Rt 108, within a 10-15 min. walk from the center of town where Rts 100 and 108 meet. Stowe's rec path is superb - very scenic for photos and well worth an hour's walk. The toll road offers some of the best views in the state, after a 15 min drive. There's easy walking/hiking along the ridge from the parking lot at the top too, with spectacular views.

Enjoy your visit! :)

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

Eve,

The Kancamagus is perfectly doable on your way to Stowe, a beautiful drive. The day before go north, assuming you are in Jackson for 2 nights, and see Mount Washington, but if it's cloudy don't bother as you'll see nothing. However in October you've got a great chance of the sky being blue and up the tip of the auto road (which I have yet to drive up!) you can see for many many many miles!

Happy planning...

David

7. Re: Woodstock or Stowe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16