We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Vermont to Niagara

London, England
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Route from Vermont to Niagara

Hi, I've booked most of my New England trip but would like some advice on the last part please - I'm driving from Stowe to Niagara, with 2 overnight stops on the way, then one night at Niagara, with a further overnight stop on the way to New York.

I was thinking of staying in Middlebury for one night, and then possibly going via Lake Placid? I would prefer a scenic route rather than just main interstates.

For the night between Niagara and NY, I was thinking of Ithaca maybe?

Would be grateful for any advice on the most scenic driving routes, and the best towns to stay in en-route. Also, any advice on whether it would be better to spend one less night getting from Stowe to Niagara, and an extra night in upstate New York?

Thanks

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Vermont to Niagara

Morning World is my Lobster 21 (great name!)

Let me suggest that you go from Stowe ...north into the northern part of NY State and then go over the border into Canada and go to Niagara via Toronto. The drive is much more interesting and you can still come back via Ithaca.

Spend a night or two in CANADA... and if you didn't want to stay in Ithaca then Saratoga Springs is a great town. To go via Middlebury is really going out of your way and the Adirondack State park is worth driving through so head north. Assuming you go to NYC on your return you could then drive south via various interstates.

Driving through NY state on I90 is boring, it's like East Anglia....flat monotonous and there is little to see...so one way will be enough! Before we moved over here from the UK we thought it was a great part of the State, but wrong we were!

If you are in Stowe for two nights...a great drive would be down route 100south to Woodstock and then over route 4 to Rutland and back up route 7north to Burlington/Stowe. That would take about 4 hours and the driving is easy. You could check out the Warren general store, Texas Falls in Hancock, Woodstock, Brandon and Shelburne on the way back....

Happy planning....

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Vermont to Niagara

Niagara Falls via Toronto, I think, adds a good couple hours on the drive, and I'm not aware of many notable stops along that route (aside from Toronto), although I've never done it and will definitely take David's word that it is more interesting than I-90 the whole way. I've done I-90 a few times and it is really boring in my book.

Doing MIddlebury and Lake Placid doesn't make a lot of sense as you do some south/north driving all toward the east end of the trip, and then save the long boring part for one day.

Personally, I would go Stowe --> Lake Placid on Day 1 as that is a neat little town and the Adirondack mountains are beautiful. Use the Burlington to Port Kent ferry if in the summer season because it is really scenic (about 1 hour). Or use the Charlotte (VT) to Essex (NY) ferry outside of summer as it operates year round, but is a pretty quick ride. http://www.ferries.com/

Day 2, I would either spend another night in Lake Placid, or head on over to Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake for a night, both nice small Adirondack mountain towns. Your last day to Niagara would be 5-6 hours on Route 3 west, then Route 11 south, and you'll pick up I-90 in Syracuse, having avoided a whole long stretch of that boring drive. Besides maybe the Finger Lakes, there's not much to see between the Adirondacks and Niagara Falls.

London, England
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Vermont to Niagara

Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful and I will certainly avoid the I90!

4. Re: Route from Vermont to Niagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:15